“Dance is at the heart of what I am and what I do,” said Lisa Zinna, the owner of Jazzercise Napa.
“There is just something about dance,” she said. “The way you are able to move through space…It uses your whole body.”
For her daily Jazzercise classes, “I’m constantly creating sets and putting together music and workout for my students that touch on different choreography and moves.”
Zinna was certified as a Jazzercise Instructor in 2005 and has owned her franchise for 12 years. Her classes are held at the Yountville Community Center.
1. How did you get into this business/industry?
My mom was an instructor. I would go with her to her classes and hang out while she taught when I was a kid.
2. What is today’s Jazzercise class like?
We are a method that fuses cardio, resistance training, Pilates, yoga, kickboxing and dance into a high intensity dance workout. It’s a very legitimate, efficient, effective workout.
3. What is the biggest challenge your industry has faced?
The fitness industry is inundated with the newest, hottest, next-best fitness trend from today’s most popular celebrity. People are looking for instant gratification. Beyond feeling amazing right after your workout…instantaneous results don’t happen.
There are so many options for people chose from when it comes to a workout. Too many. Jazzercise has existed as a workout program for over 40 years that in itself is a testament to how much we have evolved and stayed relevant through the years.
4. What job would you like to try/not try?
Try: Professional dancer on “Dancing with the Stars.”
Not try: President.
5. What was your first job?
Haagen-Daz in Vail, Colo.
6. What’s on your to-do list?
To finish my to-do list.
7. What is one thing you hope to accomplish in your lifetime that you haven’t yet?
Traveling Europe with my kids.
8. If you could change one thing about your business/industry, what would it be?
I would change the common misconception that Jazzercise is a workout from the ‘80s. We aren’t wearing legwarmers, thongs and headbands (anymore).
9. What was your childhood ambition?
To be an orthopedic surgeon.
10. If you could be anywhere right now, where would you be?
Hanging out with my family in Kauai.