Art collections and homegrown artists are showcased in collaboration with more than two dozen of the region’s wineries throughout April for the fourth annual Napa Valley Arts in April with a slew of shows and events in Calistoga.
This month of art-focused festivities features a variety of work spanning both medium and subject matter, ranging from Jenice Heo’s Neil Young-inspired series “The Neil Young Collection” at Jessup Cellars in Yountville to a valley-wide tour of winery architecture at historic properties.
In addition to traditional gallery shows and artist receptions, Arts in April features artist-led public art crawls and the performing arts. Participating wineries with new exhibitions and special Arts in April programming include Sterling Vineyards, Bennett Lane Winery and Up Valley Vintners all month, and special events in late April at Castello di Amorosa, Envy Wines and Jericho Canyon Winery. An art stroll on April 26 from 2 p.m. to 5 p.m. down Lincoln Avenue includes shows at Lee Youngman Galleries, Carmel Gallery, Ca’ Toga Gallery and Indian Springs Gallery.
Other Calistoga events include a tour of Villa Ca’Toga on April 26 at 11 a.m. (make arrangements by calling 942-3900 or email@example.com), a miniatures art show at Calistoga Art Center, 1435 N. Oak St., on April 26 from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Additional wineries showing art include Hall Wines, Monticello Vineyards, Peju Province Winery, Robert Mondavi Winery, St. Supéry Estate Vineyards and Winery, and Sullivan Vineyards.
Arts in April winery events include:
• April 6: Hess Collection, Napa — Janet Bishop, San Francisco Museum of Modern Art’s curator of painting and sculpture, presents an exploration of the relationship between painting and photography in contemporary art, drawing from works within the Hess Collection by artists such as Gerhardt Richter and Franz Gertsch.
• April 14: Tres Sabores Winery, St. Helena — Artist Patricia Wessman installs an al fresco installation of mobiles, glass “quilts,” and studio art pieces.
• April 19: Markham Vineyards, St. Helena — Rolling Stone magazine’s first chief photographer Baron Wolman welcomes guests to a reception at the West Coast premiere of his “On Assignment: Woodstock” exhibit.
• April 20: Beaulieu Vineyard, St. Helena — Artist Penelope Moore participates in Beaulieu Vineyard’s second annual Art & Wine Pairing, an interactive sensory experience pairing Moore’s paintings and BV wines.
Arts institution events include:
• April 1-6: Grand Hand Gallery, Napa — Artist Mikey Kelly creates an on-site installation of architectural sculpture using welded metal wires.
• April 3: Napa Valley Museum, Yountville — The second annual Napa Valley Collects preview party showcases a selection of works from renowned artists including Pablo Picasso to 20th century California figurative painter Joan Brown. Napa Valley Collects exhibit continues through June.
• April 10-12: Napa Valley Historical Society — The 2014 Historic Wineries Tour features historically and architecturally significant wineries, including Trefethen, Inglenook and Charles Krug.
• April 12: Yountville — The annual “Art, Sip and Savor” art walk crawl and wine tasting returns, featuring receptions with the artists featured on the Yountville Art Walk.
• April 17: Napa Valley Vintners, St. Helena — The Napa Valley Vintners are hosting a reception with photographer Sam Aslanian whose art prints featured in the new “Perspective Napa Valley” book are on display.
• April 19: Culinary Institute of America at Greystone, St. Helena — A spotlight on the appellation of St. Helena, this annual “bASH” event and competition features the best in the culinary arts.
• April 28: City Winery, Napa — The first nonprofit event held at the new City Winery at the Napa Valley Opera House, this Napa Crossroads album release party supports music and arts in schools, and benefits both Arts Council Napa Valley and the Napa Valley Education Foundation’s Music Connection.
For a full lineup of Calistoga Arts in April events go to VisitCalistoga.com. To find Napa Valley Arts in April winery activities, events and special lodging packages, go to visitnapavalley.com/artsinapril.