CalFire investigated a possible chemical leak at Clos Pegase Winery on Dunaweal Lane on Friday morning that turned out to be vapor cloud from an overheated bearing in a pump, the winery reported. It was a false alarm, CalFire said.
The call came in at 10:55 a.m. as a possible fire in the pump room of the Calistoga winery. CalFire initially feared the vapor was ethylene glycol, but this turned out not to be the case, said Jackie Downer, Clos Pegase general manager.
CalFire gave the all-clear shortly after noon, Downer said. There was no leak, no fire and no damage beyond the pump, she said.
The winery was evacuated for a little over an hour, Downer said.
A host of fire engines from CalFire/Napa County Fire, Calistoga Fire and the St. Helena Fire departments, as well as the county’s Environmental Health office, responded to the call. according to CalFire.
Four engines and two water tenders were dispatched to the winery, along with members of Napa County’s hazmat team, CalFire said.