Saturday marks a long-anticipated day for Calistoga’s children, with the grand opening ceremony of the new clubhouse for the Calistoga Boys & Girls Club.
A ribbon cutting ceremony will take place at 1 p.m. Saturday, Oct. 7. Following that there will be tours of the clubhouse, refreshments and celebrations until 4 p.m.
More than three years of planning and fundraising went into what is being called the Napa Valley Vintners Boys & Girls Clubs of St. Helena and Calistoga clubhouse at 1401 N. Oak St.
The 14,000-square-foot facility will serve the Calistoga club’s 400-plus membership of Kindergarten through 8th-grade members that since 2001 used space at the Calistoga Elementary School, where the club started with some 50 members.
Led by now-retired Executive Director Jay Templeton, the “Great Futures Campaign: Building a Positive Place for Kids” raised more than $10.5 million to build and operate the new clubhouse for two years.
Built on land owned by the city – and leased to the club for $1 a year – the clubhouse will be available for rent to nonprofit organizations, clubs and the general public when it is not in use by the club.
The new facility allows for club staff and children to be in closer proximity to one another compared to the way they operated at the elementary school where they were spread out for different programs.