Pizzeria fails second health department inspection

2012-06-14T11:51:00Z 2012-06-14T17:51:57Z Pizzeria fails second health department inspectionISABELLE DILLS Napa Valley Register
June 14, 2012 11:51 am  •

A pizza place in American Canyon has failed its health inspection for the second time in less than a month.

Parry’s Pizzeria, 234 American Canyon Road, had 35 points deducted during a June 12 inspection conducted by the Napa County Department of Environmental Management. In late May, the restaurant failed a routine inspection with 42 points deducted.

Restaurants receive failed scores if more than 30 points are taken away.

The latest inspection was conducted due to a change of ownership, said Stacey Harrington, Napa County’s environmental management coordinator.

The inspection report included two major violations, both of which had to do with potentially hazardous food items not being kept at the required temperatures. The food items included salsa, tomatoes and meatballs, county officials said.

The facility also was cited for lacking a health permit to prepare lasagna and ravioli. The restaurant is not approved for those foods because they don’t have the necessary cooking equipment.

Parry’s Pizzeria remains open.

Harrington said food facilities are shut down if there is an immediate health and safety risk observed by county inspectors who are on-site.

The county’s Department of Environmental Management could also have an office hearing to suspend a permit for facilities that don’t pose immediate risks but repeatedly fail inspections, she said.

Copyright 2016 Napa Valley Register. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

1. NapaNana
    NapaNana - June 14, 2012 1:26 pm
    Yummmmm! They're still open? And allowed to serve food that is potentially dangerous? Makes a whole lot of sense doesn't it?
  2. Esiuol
    Esiuol - June 14, 2012 2:00 pm
    NapaNana makes a good point. What does it take to actually shut them down?
  3. Crosscountrykid
    Crosscountrykid - June 14, 2012 4:14 pm
    When I lived in the South, we didn't think it was good Barbeque sauce unless it failed the local health codes. Maybe...
  4. justsayin
    justsayin - June 15, 2012 9:26 am
    Disgusting. Why don't they shut them down?! I will never go there (did not plan on it anyways, but....)
  5. LocalMom
    LocalMom - June 15, 2012 10:02 am
    We love Parry's down at work! Mmmm... Stromboli that makes you feel like you're having a heart attack.... humongous pizzas that feed 10+ (or 7 very hungry warehousemen)... We order 2 Big Guns for 25 people and have left overs.

Did you guys read what the violations were for? Not keeping tomatoes at the proper temperature-- seriously? Tomatoes need to be kept at a certain temp? Not having the necessary equipment for preparing lasagna and ravioli-- because that takes special machines? The inspection was the result of new ownership-- how long have they been the owners? Give them a chance to get the groove of things.

NapaNana, it says right in the article that they would be shut down if it was "an immediate health and safety risk". Since they weren't, I can only assume that there is no "food that is potentially dangerous"
  6. Yvonne
    Yvonne - June 15, 2012 10:08 am
    Perry's used to be good when it was still ran by Perry and his family. It never failed the inspections at that time.
  7. Just Concerned
    Just Concerned - June 15, 2012 6:23 pm
    I agree with LocalMom. Every kitchen in America would be shut down by the Napa Health Department if inspected. The tomatoes are ripening on the window sill, there's a dirty spoon in the sink, and I'm drinking a glass of wine at room temp right now. I'd be arrested.
  8. Gregg DesElms
    Gregg DesElms - June 15, 2012 9:02 pm
    I kinda' almost half-defended Parry's when the article about the first failed food inspection appeared here; and I pointed-out that Parry's would, no doubt, need to invest in a pizza prep table with covered and refigerated ingredient containers; and I even included links to examples.

But that was just for the reader, here, 'cause I know this health department, and, trust me, they told Parry's what would be needed. This county's health inspectors are best-of-breed. They're fair, but very tough. If a restaurant gets a good score in this county, believe me, it deserved it. Similarly, if it gets a bad one, then it deserved that, too.

Parry's first inspection was understandable. New ownership frequently gets tagged for previous ownership's stuff. But once Parry's understood the problem, fixing it was not optional. That Parry's treated it as optional speaks volumes about it. It brought this, then, on itself.

Parry's is now officially off my list; and I'm now also going to YELP about it.
  9. REPUBLICANKID
    REPUBLICANKID - June 17, 2012 11:16 pm
    The new owners are out of San Pablo so I guess Napa local will not defend them
  10. KristinaD
    KristinaD - June 18, 2012 2:13 pm
    What they should do is take out the "liquor store" part of it and make it all one big restaurant. Since a 7-11 is going in next to Walgreens DIRECTLY across the street, I doubt the liquor/convenience store will stay in business for too much longer anyway. It would be nice to have a little pizza joint there, and with the extra room, maybe they could expand the kitchen/prep area so they could pass the inspections.
  11. long time napan
    long time napan - June 23, 2012 8:49 am
    Stopped in there once in a pinch....ordered then sat down to wait....looked around at the place, the tables, the floors and walls....by the time my order was ready I had lost my appetite....

Seems the small pizza was rewarmed, card board like with barely anything on it....Nope, never to go back there....It didn't look or smell good and went in the trash right outside their door...Waste of time and money, but at least I wasn't hungry any more!