Lois Henry passed away quietly in her sleep in Napa, CA on October 29. She was born in Phoenix, AZ, on September 24, 1921 to Lawrence Murphy Stump and Irene Julia Luitjens . At three years of age, she moved to Angwin, CA so her dad could attend Pacific Union College. She loved to walk across the swinging bridge to fetch her dad when his shift was over at the US Post Office. Her younger sister, Betty Louise, was also born in Phoenix on September 8, 1924.

Lois started first grade at Humboldt Academy in Eureka, CA, were her dad worked as the school principal and her mother ran the school kitchen. Her mother finished high school there as well.

In 1930, Lois and her family sailed to the Philippines. They lived in Manila and then Baesa where her dad built and served as president of Philippine Union College. Her mother ran the cafeteria and taught home economics. Lois became an excellent swimmer and was continually leery of the neighbor’s pet monkey, who, she said, was always mean to her.

In 1936, Lois, Betty, and her cousin, Melvin Stump, sailed back to the States. The ship was overbooked, causing their chaperone to remain in second class while the three teenagers were moved up to first class. The first-class dining and entertainment became one of her fondest memories. Although, she said, she had her fill of Japanese cuisine.

She graduated from Laurelwood Academy in Jasper, OR in 1938 and returned to the Philippines. She attended college, became an excellent pianist, and tutored the French class.

Lois returned to Pacific Union College in 1940 to study nursing. In November, she was asked, by Weiland Alexander Henry Jr., if she would accompany him to the school picnic and baseball game at the Window Tree. They became a couple from that day forward. Weiland was seventeen, more than two years her junior, majoring in theology.

The next year, Lois moved to Loma Linda to continue her nursing clinical studies. She and Weiland wrote each other often and saw each other when they could. On January 17, 1943, after going skating together in Los Angeles, Weiland asked her to marry him. She later wrote him, “I feel like I’m on top of the world,” and, “When we come to obstacles, we conquer them with a smile and understanding.”

Lois finished her term and they were married at Burden Hall in Loma Linda on June 30, 1943. Her Uncle Manley Stump walked her down the aisle as her parents were detained behind enemy lines in the Philippines.

The young couple returned to Angwin, renting an apartment on Clark Way, while Weiland completed his degree. They then moved to Oklahoma for five years for Weiland to perform his ministerial internship. Their first-born son, Weiland Alexander III was born in Tulsa in 1947. Two years later, Lois gave birth to a daughter, Candice Louise. She was born early and died a few days after birth. The Henry family returned to Northern California in 1949 where Weiland took up duties as an evangelist. This caused them to move from Santa Rosa, to Vallejo, to Napa, to Hayward, to Roseville, to Auburn, to North Sacramento, to Stockton, to San Leandro, to Oakland, to Chico, and finally, in 1956, back to Santa Rosa. During that time, their two sons, Bryan Lawrence, and Richard Alden, were born in Napa in 1949 and 1951.

Lois and her family settled down in Santa Rosa when Weiland became pastor of the Santa Rosa SDA church. Lois worked as the night nurse at her sister’s convalescent hospital in Sonoma. She gave birth to her fourth son, Douglas Duke, at the St. Helena Sanitarium in 1957.

Her family moved to Sacramento in late 1963 for Weiland to become pastor of the Central Sacramento SDA church. Lois completed her RN degree at Sacramento City College and worked as a night nurse at the Roseville Community Hospital E. R. They moved back to Santa Rosa in 1971 and started the Santa Rosa Convalescent Hospital. Lois served there as the director of nursing until they sold the hospital in 1993. She continued on as the head nurse for The Ranch Home, their 41 bed residential care facility. She earned her BA degree in Health Services Administration in 1978 from St. Mary’s College of California.

After her husband, Weiland, passed away, in 2005, Lois moved to St. Helena to be closer to her family. She remained active and fiercely independent up until the last year of her life. She enjoyed travelling, shopping, and above all, her family.

She is survived by her four boys, their wives, nine grandchildren, and seventeen great-grandchildren. A life-long Seventh-day Adventist, she asks that instead of flowers that donations be made in her name to Amazing Facts (www.amazingfacts.org). She adds that, “her one great hope was to see Jesus come and all her family be saved.” She also left several notes around to make sure that they were found. She wrote on them: “Don’t cry for me. I’ve had a good life.”