The Westin Verasa Napa and La Toque restaurant will host its third annual gingerbread house contest on Sunday, Dec. 15, from 12:30-3:30 p.m. This community holiday event will be open to the public, who are invited to vote for their favorite entry. All proceeds generated through entry fees, raffle ticket sales and donations will benefit the Boys & Girls Clubs of Napa Valley.
Open to all ages, the contest consists of two entry categories: professional and amateur bakers. Teams of two to five individuals working on a single entry are also welcome. For participants under 18, a signature from a parent or legal guardian is required.
Entries are not limited to the classic gingerbread house structure; contestants are encouraged to use creativity and originality in designing their structures as long as they keep within these rules, regulations and judging criteria.
• Entries must not exceed 24 inches high, 24 inches wide and 24 inches long, including the structure’s base.
• Entries must be placed on a board base.
• Name, address and entry number must be written on the underside of the base.
• Entries must include a typed one-page description highlighting any unique features and materials used, as well as the name of the entry and the entry number. Contestants should not include their names on the description sheet.
• Except for the base, entries must be constructed and composed completely out of edible materials with the main structure made mostly out of gingerbread; no gingerbread kits are allowed.
• Bases must be completely concealed by an edible product; however, the sides of the base may be exposed or concealed with paint or ribbon or other material if preferred.
• Edible materials are not limited to sweets.
• No artificial display materials such as Styrofoam or interior lighting are to be used.
• Candies must be unwrapped and free of any non-edible materials, such as lollipop sticks.
Professional judging is on Sunday, Dec. 15, from noon to 12:30 p.m. The formal awards ceremony will be held at 2:30 p.m. Voting will be open to the general public from 12:30 to 2 p.m. for a Viewer’s Choice Award in both categories.
The Grand Prize Awards for both categories is dinner for two at La Toque and a one-night stay at the Westin Verasa in Napa. The Runner Up Award is dinner for two at Bank Café and Bar.
The Viewer’s Choice Award is dinner for two at La Toque restaurant.
Completed entries must be delivered to the Westin Verasa Napa on Sunday, Dec. 15, between 10:30 a.m. and noon. Entries will be on display in the hotel lobby Dec. 15-29.
Entries must be picked up between 8 a.m. and noon on Dec. 29. Entries not picked up will be discarded on Dec. 30.
Entry forms are available at the Westin Verasa Napa or La Toque at 1314
A signed and completed entry form must be mailed or dropped off to the attention of Megan Menicucci at La Toque prior to 5 p.m. on Sunday, Dec. 8, along with a check for $25 made out to the Boys & Girls Clubs of Napa Valley. One hundred percent of all entry fees will benefit the Boys & Girls Clubs of Napa Valley. Entry numbers will be assigned upon receipt of completed entry forms. All contestants will receive an email with entry number confirming their entry into the 2013 contest. Due to space, only a limited number of entries will be accepted into the contest.
For additional questions regarding the contest or rules and regulations, please email Megan Menicucci at Megan @LaToque.com.