Frank Family Vineyards buys historic Wood Ranch Vineyard estate in Rutherford

2012-11-15T17:47:00Z 2012-11-15T17:48:15Z Frank Family Vineyards buys historic Wood Ranch Vineyard estate in Rutherford Napa Valley Register
November 15, 2012 5:47 pm

Frank Family Vineyards has purchased the Wood Ranch Vineyard Estate, a historic 87-acre property in Rutherford with 70 acres of grape vines. For three generations, the property was owned and developed by the family of Frank “Laurie” Wood, a Napa Valley grape grower.

The Wood Ranch Vineyard Estate is located off of Conn Creek Road, close to Rich Frank's home and hillside vineyard, Winston Hill.

Frank Family Vineyards, celebrating its 20th anniversary this year, has steadily expanded its vineyard properties. In addition to the Wood Ranch Vineyard Estate, the winery also has the Lewis Vineyard in Napa Carneros, the S&J Vineyard in Capell Valley, and Rich Frank’s estate, Winston Hill.

The Wood family traces its roots to the California Gold Rush. In 1917, a chance encounter between Frank Wood, a young UC Berkeley graduate working as a farm advisor, and Betty Cole, a Rutherford rancher's niece, culminated in their marriage and inheritance of the land that would be known as Wood Ranch. Frank Wood began growing grapes on his new land, and his son Laurie took over the briskly growing vineyard in the 1950s, caring for the grapes for over half a century. While different varietals have been planted at different times, today the land is planted to 80 percent cabernet sauvignon, petit verdot, petite sirah, merlot, cabernet franc and zinfandel, with the remaining 20 percent planted to chardonnay.

Copyright 2015 Napa Valley Register. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

No Comments Posted.

Add Comment
You must Login to comment.

Click here to get an account it's free and quick