Fagiani's fire

Grill fire put out at Fagiani’s

Bar, restaurant closed for lunch, reopened for dinner
2012-10-05T17:37:00Z 2012-10-06T20:53:50Z Grill fire put out at Fagiani’sJENNIFER HUFFMAN Napa Valley Register
October 05, 2012 5:37 pm  • 

The Thomas restaurant in downtown Napa did not serve lunch Friday because of an unintended early-morning fire in a wood-fire oven, but was able to reopen for dinner, a restaurant spokesperson said.

Fire engines responded to calls of smoke coming from the roof of the Fagiani’s restaurant building shortly after 8 a.m. Friday.

Battalion Chief Dan Hall said the small blaze was confined to the wood-fired grill in the kitchen on the second floor and was put out in five minutes with a fire extinguisher.

The business closed for lunch on Friday so that health and fire departments could conduct inspections to ensure the building was safe for re-entry and service, said Karolina Kielbowicz, a spokesperson for the restaurant.

At about 5 p.m. Friday, Morgan Moore, a restaurant representative, said the restaurant was going to be open for dinner.

During the morning commotion, Cory Tiebout of Napa, who had just parked on Main to get something to eat at Molinari Caffe next door, reported seeing “gray smoke coming out of the top of the building.”

“Then I heard the alarm,” Tiebout said.

The smoke seen on the roof was coming through the flue, Hall said. There were no employees inside the building at the time.

Main Street between Second and Third Streets was closed temporarily, as well as the southbound portion of Main between First and Second streets.  

The landmark Fagiani building, which is more than a century old, reopened in August as the home to The Thomas restaurant and Fagiani’s Bar at The Thomas.

 Two trucks and three fire engines responded, Hall said.


The original posting has been updated with the latest information as of 5:35 p.m. Friday.

Copyright 2015 Napa Valley Register. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

(2) Comments

  1. boomtho707
    Report Abuse
    boomtho707 - October 05, 2012 1:24 pm
    spooky... haunted???
  2. Mouse_Nose
    Report Abuse
    Mouse_Nose - October 05, 2012 5:06 pm
    I was actually wondering the exact same thing! The circumstances of the fire, based on the article, seem rather odd. A fire from a stove where nobody (living) was present.

    It is said that hauntings are more likely to occur in areas where a tragic and/or sudden death has happened. I wouldn't put it past the paranormal in this case.

    Glad someone besides me has an open mind into the unexplained!
Add Comment
You must Login to comment.

Click here to get an account it's free and quick