Electric blanket may have caused mobile home fire

2013-01-26T19:15:00Z 2013-01-26T22:58:05Z Electric blanket may have caused mobile home fireRegister staff Napa Valley Register
January 26, 2013 7:15 pm  • 

A fire reported at about 2 a.m. Saturday destroyed a mobile home at Napa Valley Manor at 770 Lincoln Ave., causing an estimated $90,000 worth of damages, according to the Napa Fire Department. There were no reported injuries.

The most likely cause of the fire was a faulty electrical blanket, Battalion Chief Steve Stuart said. The mobile home is a total loss, he said. The witness said he awoke to find his electric blanket on fire down by his feet, according to the fire department.

The man woke up, got up and tried to get a bucket of water to extinguish the fire, Capt. Steve Becker said. He then ran out of the mobile home and went to a neighbor’s house. A neighbor called 911, Becker said.

Firefighters found heavy smoke coming out of every door and window of the structure. The smoke then ignited and the majority of the mobile home became engulfed, Becker said. The fire was put out in about 15 minutes, he said. No other structure was damaged.

On Saturday, park manager Rosemary Millard praised the fire department’s quick response.

The resident is staying with family, according to the Napa Fire Department.

Becker reminds the public that should a fire occur, the fire department urges people to immediately get out of the building and call 911. Any delay increases fire damage and danger, he said.

Copyright 2015 Napa Valley Register. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

No Comments Posted.

Add Comment
You must Login to comment.

Click here to get an account it's free and quick