New owners, new management at Silverado Resort

2010-06-28T11:14:00Z 2010-06-28T11:41:17Z New owners, new management at Silverado ResortBy JENNIFER HUFFMAN Register Business Writer Napa Valley Register

At least 20 employees, including top managers, were let go Friday as Silverado Resort prepares for new owners and a new management company.

Effective Thursday, golf legend and businessman Johnny Miller and two executives from the Rug Doctor Corporation, Roger Kent and Tim Wall, become the new owners of the resort. They are bringing in a new management company, Dolce Hotels and Resorts, which runs properties internationally.

At least 20 employees at the resort were let go Friday, according to Kirk Candland, Silverado’s general manager. They include Candland himself, who has worked at the resort for 30 years; executive chef Peter Pahk; Terry Peterson, director of food and beverage; director of golf Jeff Goodwin; tennis professional Giuseppe Cammaroto; Maureen Kimbrough, reservation manager; security director Jeff Van Paris and additional management staff.

“With the pending sale closing on June 30, it was the decision of the new management company, Dolce Hotel and Resorts, to restructure the management at Silverado,” Candland said.

Dolce Hotels and Resorts will run the resort and the food service facilities, including the Members Clubhouse. Troon Golf will manage golf operations.

1. littlered56
    littlered56 - June 28, 2010 11:55 am
    Welcome home, Mr. Miller. What wonderful news! I have every confidence you will make Silverado the wonderful place it once was, even better I suspect!
    Good Look, Johhny and again Welcome Home.

2. RyanNapa
    RyanNapa - June 28, 2010 12:48 pm
    Chef Pahk is one of the best chefs in the valley...I am sorry to see him go!
  3. BIlly
    BIlly - June 28, 2010 12:49 pm
    OK great ! Now sell some associate memberships so you can get some weekly year round play and get some younger people (under 60) using the facilities and spending money at the restaurants and spa. I hope Miller knows what he is doing the place is a little tired and has been ready for change (operational)for the past 10 years . Good luck !
  4. Napa Resident 2370
    Napa Resident 2370 - June 28, 2010 2:49 pm
  5. RusRis1
    RusRis1 - June 28, 2010 4:27 pm
  6. RusRis1
    RusRis1 - June 28, 2010 4:28 pm
    RyanNapa said: "Chef Pahk is one of the best chefs in the valley...I am sorry to see him go!"

That not what I hear on the out side. He needed to move on.
  7. RusRis1
    RusRis1 - June 28, 2010 4:32 pm
    Napa Resident 2370 said: "I can't believe Kirk, Terry and Peter are leaving!! What is the new management company thinking?!?!"

They did the right thing ! Thank-you Jonny Miller
  8. Hospitality
    Hospitality - June 28, 2010 7:29 pm
    The good ol' boy system went out years ago. The management should have kept up with the times. Sad but the best decision that had to be made is finally done. Good luck and great start there is great competition now in the valley - big, small, corp, family...best to them all.
  9. magnum
    magnum - June 28, 2010 7:51 pm
    That's some big changes for such a great resort. I worked there over 16 years ago, and I am surprised that some of the management people were still there. Except for Chef Phak, that group should have been fired decades ago. Good Luck Johnny!
  10. magnum
    magnum - June 28, 2010 7:51 pm
    RusRis1 said: "I agree.This will be the best outcome that has happen to Silverado CC. It needed a change. The Silverado Exec has caused the Club to go down hill. Yes it time for a change. I wish Silverado the best. "

True...very true
  11. Steph
    Steph - June 28, 2010 8:57 pm
    Bummer.

Yowza.

Bummer! Now where will I get one?

Not sure I wanna go back there now...
  12. KeeptheCulture
    KeeptheCulture - June 28, 2010 9:10 pm
    Dolce Management has a history of slash and burn tactics. Put on your seatbelts as they run Silverado Resort into the ground! All is not as it seems.
  13. awestproduction
    awestproduction - June 28, 2010 9:54 pm
    A new owner who would come in and put some money into what some of you are calling "tired" could have made sense. Unfortunately, this new regime is already cutting corners and service by letting go of some of the best people in the business - namely Terry Peterson and Peter Pahk. The people are what have made Silverado special. It is now on its way to being just another Dolce property. Very, very sad for our community.
  14. Misfit
    Misfit - June 29, 2010 6:08 am
    Steph said: "Bummer.I loved the food at the Grill. It was reasonably priced and so my son and I would go for lunch--he would get the Kobe beef burger, and I would get the crab salad. I can taste it now.... Large lumps of fresh cracked crab, baby greens, egg, avo, delicious thousand island dressing.Yowza. Bummer! Now where will I get one?Not sure I wanna go back there now... "

Oh pleeease. You might have to venture outside the bubble Steph.
  15. whocares21
    whocares21 - June 29, 2010 7:39 am
    Really people? Silverado is an old, tired resort with a bunch of good old boys running things that haven't changed in 30 years. Dolce hotels has a stellar reputation, we stayed in one in France last year and it was top notch luxury. So...before you go saying how awful it is, maybe you should go stay at Silverado now or go play golf on the vacant course (except for it's old members) and then go back in 6 months and see what's changed. Because alot needs to change. Chef Pahk is great, but his menus haven't changed and maybe he doesn't fit the Dolce model. Chefs come and go and I'm sure he'll find something just as good if not better. Jonny Miller has a personal interest in this property and if you think he's bought it to run it into the ground, you're wrong. I think in 2 years, it will be back to the best resort in the valley, with some well needed changes. Way to go!
  16. BIlly
    BIlly - June 29, 2010 8:32 am
    We shall see what Miller and his crew bring to the table. I just hope Silverado does not become as boring as his announcing...
    If they slash and burn the club then the investment will not work for them. They will get run out of town. The old crew had to go because it was obviously not working.
  17. Steph
    Steph - June 29, 2010 10:30 am
    Misfit--
    My "bubble" is right here in Bel Air, where I live.
    Maybe Silverado's problem is that they let the riff-raff like me eat there.
  18. Steph
    Steph - June 29, 2010 10:41 am
    What's wrong with working people enjoying a slice of casual luxury, anyway, misfit? Those of us who work hard and pay our own way shouldn't appreciate the craft and efforts of those who work to create and serve delicious food? Take a break from our Taco Bell and Starbucks or our own back yard BBQ? Peter Pahk is a decent chef--a working person with a family, and many will be sad to see him go.

If you know of another place I can enjoy fresh crab louie salads, as good as those at Silverado, do let me know.
  19. Firewater
    Firewater - June 29, 2010 10:50 am
    I Love it, Getting rid of the top EXECS..great move, Only Chef Phak I hate to see go, but with his background I am sure he will land something great!!..I worked there years ago when Johnny Miller had a house an was a rising star, came back years later an couldn't believe how poorly it was run after working at some High end Hotels in the City. Good Luck an Bring back the beauty it once was.
  20. cordell
    cordell - June 29, 2010 8:31 pm
    Silverado lost its allure a long time ago. Johnny Miller intends to bring the PGA back and he will. This is a great boost for Silverado and all of Napa too. All change is not bad.
  21. Make Napa Better
    Make Napa Better - June 30, 2010 12:16 am
    I can't believe they named names of the people who got let go... I smell a lawsuit. They didn't do anything to deserve this, it was a change of ownership, nothing more.
  22. alucawanza
    alucawanza - June 30, 2010 10:11 pm
    Misfit
    What is your agenda? Steph just expressed a heartfelt disappointment losing something she enjoyed every now and then. We all have our favorite dishes. And memories of sharing a tradition with one of our children.
    Pleeease, indeed...