Bodies of two men found in hills west of Rutherford

2011-07-07T15:20:00Z 2011-07-19T09:15:16Z Bodies of two men found in hills west of RutherfordKERANA TODOROV Napa Valley Register
July 07, 2011 3:20 pm  •

The two men have not been identified, Napa County Sheriff’s Capt. Tracey Stuart said.  “They had been there for a while,” she said, referring to the difficulty of identifying them.

“I can’t say how they were killed,” Stuart said.

Drug agents found the two bodies on July 1 at a marijuana growing operation where 3,000 immature plants were found after receiving a tip, she said. Stuart declined to give the address of the private property, citing the ongoing investigation.

The private property owner was unaware that marijuana was growing on the land, the department said.

The homicides are being investigated by the Napa County Major Crimes Investigation Team and other agencies, Stuart said.

The department has been interviewing “lots” of people in connection with the case, she said.

Drug agents with the Napa Special Investigations Bureau pulled out the plants Wednesday, Stuart said.

According to NSIB’s annual report, drug agents seized 17 percent more marijuana plants in 2010 than the year before.

1. vocal-de-local
    vocal-de-local - July 07, 2011 10:25 pm
  2. gogojr1
    gogojr1 - July 08, 2011 12:58 am
    This wouldn't happen nation wide if Marijuana was legalized for recreational use.
  3. Red Dirt Town
    Red Dirt Town - July 08, 2011 8:18 am

The scene I will never forget.

So this is how the story ended.
  4. OK sooner
    OK sooner - July 08, 2011 8:28 am
    Pot is a victimless crime? You buy it, YOU paid to have these two men killed.
  5. Tiredofcomplainingnapkins
    Tiredofcomplainingnapkins - July 08, 2011 9:33 am
    TO Ok sooner,

6. kevhund
    kevhund - July 08, 2011 10:25 am
    What's next? Meth labs in the vineyards? Gunfire in the streets? I truly believe those in control want it that way, so get ready.
  7. vocal-de-local
    vocal-de-local - July 08, 2011 10:43 am
    Even if pot was legalized, some other drug would take its place. Meth, for example, requires production, transportation and sales. These cartels have well established connections. They would step up production of other drugs to fill the legal pot void. Quit fooling yourselves into thinking legalization of pot will solve all problems.
  8. OK sooner
    OK sooner - July 08, 2011 12:41 pm
    Tiredonapkin.. I'm sure you have bought more alcohol than I have. But alcohol is not illegal and when you buy it you are not breaking any laws if you are 21. When you buy it you are not allowing someone else to break the law by making it. People who buy pot bring others into their crime. You may say you don't drink so you don't buy alcohol, but you still have bought more than me when you drive, I only buy 100% gas.
  9. Tiredofcomplainingnapkins
    Tiredofcomplainingnapkins - July 08, 2011 2:04 pm
    To Ok sooner,

You buy alcohol, that means you contribute to the profit of a dangerous drug, sure its legal but its still dangerous. Legality has nothing to do with this argument, laws are made by man, wether something is legal or not is a reflection of whos in power and who has influence over lawmakers. You buying alcohol means that whoever brews the alcohol is going to continue to make it because of the profit they are making off of the sale to you. And because they can continue making it because of the profit off you, they will sell it to someone who eventually will hurt themselves or others. If you buy Nike shoes made in sweatshops in China aren't you contributing to the sweatshop? Sure its legal to buy those shoes but isn't your purhcase of those shoes directly contributing to the sweatshop? Of course it is. What you purchase directly effects the good and bad of every part of a company, including alcohol and illegal pot farms.
  10. juzo86
    juzo86 - July 08, 2011 3:17 pm
    mexican drug cartel in NAPA 2 people DEAD! Well thats just Wonderfull..... i wont be going hiking anymore....
  11. notanapkinanymore
    notanapkinanymore - July 08, 2011 4:40 pm
    Marijuana won't be legal because it's direct competition with the pharmaceutical companies. Pharmaceuticals is the most profitable industry in the U.S. Even though pharmaceuticals kill over 100,000 people a year they are legal because of the mass profits. Marijuana's medicinal benefits are so great but competition to the pharmaceuticals. Marijuana has never killed a person in thousands of years. Did you know that Bayer made heroin? Yeah. And let's not forget the 45,000 prisoners in prison for pot. Hemp can be grown for thousands of products including fuel, paper, clothing, food, etc. Our country needs to wake up to industrial hemp. The govt. Supported it and used it for materials for WW2.
  12. OK sooner
    OK sooner - July 08, 2011 8:19 pm
    Tired o napkin.. These two men were not found at the site of a moonshine still, it was a pot field. If I want everclear(shine) I'll make my own, If I wanted to smoke pot I'd grow my own (it does grow wild on a piece of land I own but I leave it alone). At 14 I did not ask an adult to buy my booze, I bought cherry juice in schellville and made my own cider. At 15 I gleened grapes after harvest and made my "spyder juice" wine (very dry but would make you stagger). I just feel if you break the law you should only involve yourself. Be it meth, pot, coke or smack, the people who supply it kill. There are over 100 plants growing wild that people could pick themselves to get a buzz, many are not illegal. Why let someone sell you something that you could get for free. In Napa there is a bark from a tree to mellow you, mushrooms to see in your mind, a type of nightshade to see color and sound come together. No, I won't tell you what or where, just pick and smoke 'till you find something smooth.
  13. Joanne
    Joanne - July 08, 2011 10:02 pm
    What is "THE Mexican drug cartel?"

Did the reporter perhaps mean to say "A Mexican drug cartel?"

I'd guess that there is not a single, monolithic "Mexican drug cartel."

So that is a pretty suspect description of just who is actually thought by law enforcement officials to be behind this.

NVR: could we get some clarification on this, please?
  14. Joanne
    Joanne - July 09, 2011 6:33 am
    vocal-de-local said: "Enough is enough. For all of those supporters of open borders, what's your opinion now? Next time, it might be your loved ones hiking in the woods, coming face to face with armed cartel members. These cartels are evil. Time to stop the fight on foreign soil and pay attention to what's happening here."

You realize that there are plenty of folks up in them thaIr' hills, many of whom are Americans of European descent that are managing their own little illicit pot farms who are likely to be just as apt to put a bullet in that hypothetical hiking loved one you speak of, right?

Matter of fact, since the risk associated with illegally growing pot within our domestic borders is arguably much greater than growing it in, oh, say, Mexico, then bringing it into the US to distribute, what in the world would motivate members of "the Mexican drug cartel," as it has been somewhat oddly referred to in this article, to come here to grow it? MAKES.NO.SENSE.AT.ALL.
  15. vocal-de-local
    vocal-de-local - July 09, 2011 9:15 am
    JoAnne, I'm guessing the risk of transporting pot is far greater than growing it locally. And btw, Mendocino County has a program which allows people to legally grow up to 99 plants but you must have a permit and the authorities are allowed to check your plants. Each plant is tagged to make certain the numbers are not over 99. Cool program and it reduces the influence and power of the Cartels. No one is killing anyone else because it's legal up to a certain number (although Federal agents might not agree!).
  16. vocal-de-local
    vocal-de-local - July 09, 2011 9:26 am
    Also, I think the penalty should be increased for growing pot on other people's lands without their permission. Diverting resources from vineyards is not ok. I smell pot when I take a walk past a certain vineyard in the area where I live. It's stealing and trespassing when water that is not yours is diverted to grow pot crops. Growing plants in an environmentally destructive way (erosion into creeks and harsh chemicals) should also be highly regulated as well.
  17. winamarie1062
    winamarie1062 - July 09, 2011 2:18 pm
    OK sooner said: "Pot is a victimless crime? You buy it, YOU paid to have these two men killed."

The clubs do not buy from cartels or illegals. There is a strict documented process, in order to grow medical grade MJ for the legal clubs. So, no I DID NOT PAY for it. I hope God blesses you and your family, with long healthy lives; never needing a medication, to help you through your dying days. Don't judge so quickly.
  18. winamarie1062
    winamarie1062 - July 09, 2011 2:28 pm
    AMEN. Lets get our soldiers, resources and FOCUS, back on the mess our country has become. Homelessness, unemployment,hunger,domestic violence, police brutality, government corruption, disease, health epidemics, tainted food sources, gangs, neglected children and elderly; the list goes on. It is scary to think, where we are all headed, if there are not some immediate actions/changes. It starts with us. One caring person at a time. One good deed, goes a long way.
  19. winamarie1062
    winamarie1062 - July 09, 2011 2:33 pm
    Red Dirt Town said: "I met these people last year. Or their 'friends' while I was working in the vineyards of Mt. Vedeer.I backed away quickly. The scene was wery hostile and I think I may have escaped with my life by chance only because I was female and spoke Spanish.The scene I will never forget. So this is how the story ended."
    No offense; I am sure you were beyond terrified but why didn't you report it? As Americans we need to stand up and get involved. We need to watch out for each-other. I am so sorry you had to experience such a terrifying ordeal.
  20. winamarie1062
    winamarie1062 - July 09, 2011 2:41 pm
    Tiredofcomplainingnapkins said: "TO Ok sooner,I sure hope you have NEVER bought an ounce of alcohol or you have contributed to the deaths of millions from liver disease, and alcohol related deaths. If you have ever bought any alcohol then you paid for every drunk driving death."

Wow, you are so right on!!!!! We should all stop judging and pointing fingers. We should start helping, caring,stepping up and stop ignoring situations around us. Alcohol does so much damage and yet is constantly glorified and socially accepted.
  21. OK sooner
    OK sooner - July 09, 2011 8:32 pm
  22. winamarie1062
    winamarie1062 - July 10, 2011 10:29 am
    OK sooner said: "Wine1062.. If you read my post.. Buy anything legal, cool. Buy anything illegal, uncool. Break the law on your own terms and don't involve anyone else, okay by me. Break the law and drag others in to your crime, not okay. Those that buy off the street never know who died for their toke. Those who grow their own and don't kill to protect it are cool by me. I don't need pot but don't judge those that do. I know it has a use and should not be so demonized. But people that DO need it can get it without getting it from killers. (my wife has MS, our kids tell her to smoke MJ for the RLS she suffers but she is holding out. When she feels she does need it I'll grow and pick for her)"
    Right on. I wish you and your family the best and will include your wife in my prayers.
  23. John Richards
    John Richards - July 10, 2011 7:36 pm
    Tiredofcomplainingnapkins said: "You buying alcohol means that whoever brews the alcohol is going to continue to make it because of the profit they are making off of the sale to you. And because they can continue making it because of the profit off you, they will sell it to someone who eventually will hurt themselves or others."

By that same logic, if I buy a set of steak knives and someone gets stabbed to death with a steak knife, I am partly responsible? Give it up already! Legality has everything to do with it.
  24. Tiredofcomplainingnapkins
    Tiredofcomplainingnapkins - July 11, 2011 1:36 am
    TO john Richards,

Seeing how your picture says "keep right", Im taking it that your a republican. I would think you would agree on me with this issue. I'm sure theres plenty of laws past by liberals and democrats over the last few years that you completley disagree with, you maybe even think they are wrong. But are the laws they pass a true reflection of society morals or just their own political agenda? Its illegal now to not have a carbon monxidie detector in your home. So if you don't have one in your home and someone dies from co2 poisoning should you be considerd responsible for their death? My argument isn't that if you buy alcohol your contributing to the deaths of others, same with marijuana, if you buy marijuana your not responsible for the deaths of those people on the mountains, but a previous poster tried to make that link. I was just trying to show that person if your going to look at it that way then you have to look at other items sold that harm people as well
  25. JustAnotherManicMonday
    JustAnotherManicMonday - July 11, 2011 5:27 am
    The Mexican drug cartels are known in Napa County for growing pot here in the remote hills. There have been articles in the Register for years. NSIB (Napa Special Investigations Bureau) goes every summer to eradicate the plants. They drop the officers in the remote areas by helicopter. The officers gather the plants. They will come upon remote areas and campsites and usually not any people. (People will usually flee when they hear the helicopters) They seem to find cans of spam, bread and mayonnaise at each camp site. The drug cartel will drop off Mexican citizens at these remote locations. The campers may not be there by choice - some are there against their will or kidnapped or their families are held hostage in Mexico until they return at the end of the grow season. Complain to the Mexican police? The police are corrupted and unjust in Mexico, people can't go to the police for help. It's now getting more dangerous as the campers are now dropped off with guns and protecting it.
  26. napadad
    napadad - July 11, 2011 9:48 am
    I dont know, it does seem pretty straight forward... if I supply money to the people that killed those guys then I support that killing. Either directly or indirectly. If I accept the knowledge that cartels/criminals murder people and I buy that product anyway i support the murdering to some degree.
    And alcohol is slightly different, alcohol companies dont force people to produce liquor, they dont blow up the competitors offices or shoot judges. You buy the legal alcohol product willingly and then kill yourself or some one else. By not passing zero tolerance, no liquor ever, laws we as a society accept the risk of allowing this legal substance to be sold. And we pass laws that make it a crime to drink and drive. So if you sell or supply liquor you accept some responsibility for the willing cirrhosis patient or addicts treatment cost (cause its legal). So ... illegal you support criminals and crime, legal ... not the same deal
  27. Tiredofcomplainingnapkins
    Tiredofcomplainingnapkins - July 11, 2011 11:37 am
    To Napadad,

I don't agree with you. Laws are passed by men, so the legality of something is just the reflection of those with power, not society as a whole. I believe in self-responsibility, if someone buys marijuana and gets high and loses control of their car and kills someone its their fault, same with alcohol. But if someone tries to make the connection that buying marijuana caused those guys to be killed then they have to say well buying a legal substance that is dangerous and deadly fuels the production of that product which in turn does kill people, they are a contributor to that cycle, Can you agree with me on that? I don't believe that to be true, but if your going to single out a substance because its illegal because of laws written by men to protect their own interests then you have to look at legal substances as well. Its all about self-responsibility. If someone dies brewing beer at the budweiser plant is it the purchasers fault, NO. So why is this any different
  28. OK sooner
    OK sooner - July 11, 2011 12:44 pm
    Tiredonapkin: If budwieser is shooting it's employees and anyone that gets lost and walks onto it's land.... Then don't buy budwieser. If you don't know where your "bud" came from, who grew it and who died for it, don't buy that "bud". If you grew the bud yourself or bought it on a legal market then it is not a bloody bud. Just like diamonds. If you buy a diamond does that make you evil? No, only if you buy a blood diamond. If you don't know don't buy it. People who bought booze during prohibition supported killers, those who made their own and did not sell it to others did not support the killers. Infact if everyone grew their own bud it would put the killers out of business. Why does everyone else get it?
  29. napadad
    napadad - July 12, 2011 6:53 pm
    tired, no I dont agree,its analogous to loanig your car to a drunk and being responsible for his accident. You knew he was drunk, knew its illegal to drink and drive, but said what the hey...hers my keys I trust you wont kill someone tonight. I know illegal drugs support illegal activity. If I buy illegal drugs I support that activity. S&W sells guns, if they knowingly sell them to known criminals they are supporting any criminal activity those guns are used for.
  30. Raven
    Raven - July 13, 2011 7:03 am
    "The bodies of two men were found last week in a suspected marijuana growing operation run by the Mexican drug cartel in the hills west of Rutherford, the Napa County Sheriff’s Office disclosed Thursday.
    The two men have not been identified,"

So, the two men haven't been id'd and 1) we "know" they are illegal and 2) they were forced to be there by the "cartel" (which cartel btw, there are several, with about 8 being the largest and best organized) and as a postscript 3)that buying pot contributed to there deaths but buying alcohol doesn't contribute to the deaths of thousands each year....that about sum it up?
  31. notanapkinanymore
    notanapkinanymore - July 14, 2011 2:07 pm
    Raven - Since when did the article say that the two dead were illegal? Maybe the people there before them were illegal, maybe. The two men found dead are probably missing people who were in the wrong place at the time. That's probably what the investigators are trying to determine, if there are any missing persons in the area or surrounding area that fit the two men's descriptions.
  32. Tiredofcomplainingnapkins
    Tiredofcomplainingnapkins - July 16, 2011 11:47 am
    To ok sooner,

You said, "
    Pot is a victimless crime? You buy it, YOU paid to have these two men killed." But now you are saying if you know where the pot was grown from then its not bloody bud. So using your logic the "pot" isn't the problem, the law is the reason for the crime. Correct? According to your logic "pot" is a victimless crime, illegal activities is what causes victims, so you should be upset at the men who write laws that cause victims to be produced, if you know where it came from and hasn't produced victims then its plausible that if legal none of it would cause victims, the very act of having it illegal is the crime, according to your logic