PG&E makes $25,000 donation to Napa on Ice

2011-11-18T09:22:00Z 2011-11-18T21:29:07Z PG&E makes $25,000 donation to Napa on IceRegister staff Napa Valley Register
November 18, 2011 9:22 am  •

Pacific Gas and Electric Company announced its donation of $25,000 to Napa on Ice, the downtown holiday skating rink that opens to the public Saturday.

The donation will go toward building the rink, hosting a private opening night ceremony to benefit Napa Emergency Women’s Services and donating 100 tickets to the Boys & Girls Clubs of Napa Valley and surrounding towns.

PG&E will also work closely with Napa on Ice to provide information to skating rink visitors about ways they can save energy and money this winter, the utility said in a news release.

“PG&E is always looking for new ways to engage our customers and give back to the community, and we are very excited for Napa residents to experience the Napa on Ice skating rink this holiday season,” said Ezra Garrett, vice president of community relations for PG&E.

Napa on Ice tickets are $12 and include skating and skate rentals. Visit napaonice.com to learn more. To volunteer, email NapaOnIce@yahoo.com.

All charitable contributions are entirely funded by the company’s shareholders and the level of charitable giving does not affect gas and electric rates, PG&E said.

1. reason-ator
    reason-ator - November 18, 2011 10:45 am
    That's what I like to see. Someone telling us how to conserve power at an outdoor ice skating rink when it's sunny and seventy.

Make sure you turn your lights off when you're not in the room and save the planet.
  2. Leo624
    Leo624 - November 18, 2011 11:05 am
    Good for you PG & E - Way to go and show some leadership. Hopefully other businesses in Napa will do the same here AND possibly Napa can have a year-round ice skating rink!!
  3. gettingreal
    gettingreal - November 18, 2011 12:02 pm
    I'm glad PG&E can be so charitable with our hard earned money. Every time I see a PG&E commercial it only makes me wish we had an alternate energy provider.
  4. ruralresident
    ruralresident - November 18, 2011 1:07 pm
    Look for a small fee increase in your future PG&E bills.
  5. DavePosner
    DavePosner - November 18, 2011 1:12 pm
    I don't know about you but this just makes me feel all warm and fuzzy about PG&E. Golly that's a great company!
  6. truly
    truly - November 18, 2011 2:20 pm
  7. Misfit
    Misfit - November 18, 2011 3:53 pm
    This is ridiculous. Perhaps that money should have gone toward helping the poor and elderly stay warm this winter! Napa, you live in a bubble. Is this all you can worry about is an ice rink? You have all the wine you need so, just enjoy why don't you. Isn't that what life is all about.
    Down the road a hero, lost his life last night and this is what you worry about?
    golly gee Dave Posner...??? I hope you were kidding.
  8. napa1957
    napa1957 - November 18, 2011 5:53 pm
    Thank you PG&E and your shareholders from whom the funds were derived. Reading the posts reminds me of the old adage "no good deed goes unpunished". The donation of tickets will help local kids have a chance they might not have had to join in the fun.
    I hope that this post goes through. My previous one apparently did not pass muster, and I don't know why.
  9. John Richards
    John Richards - November 18, 2011 7:00 pm
    Bah humbug! I don't want to sound like Ebenezer Scrooge, but PG&E swill probably recoup that $25K quickly in the charges for all that power required to make ice.
  10. Locust55
    Locust55 - November 18, 2011 8:27 pm
    To misfit - PG&E does have an energy savings assistance program to help lower income people stay warm and reduce energy costs. Call 707 522-3600.
  11. NativeQB
    NativeQB - November 19, 2011 8:28 am
    Well GOOD!! Maybe that DONATION will cover the COST of the Electricity to run the Rink!!! Now if they could just DONATE SOME COMMON SENSE like on the PARKING SITUATIONS and Business Disruptions??? A Win/Win ya think???
  12. DavePosner
    DavePosner - November 19, 2011 9:51 am
    You nay sayers need to keep in mind that this was a gift from the *shareholders* not from the company itself. So this money must have come from an entirely separate fund derived from shareholder donations rather than the receipts the monopoly extorts from us. So we can still detest the company without detesting the shareholders.
  13. reason-ator
    reason-ator - November 19, 2011 12:27 pm
    truly said: "reasonator, do you ever smile? do you ever go out and enjoy yourself... ever? merry christmas to you from cindy lou hoo"

I'm sorry, cindy lou hoo, but I thought it was funny and it made me smile. I do enjoy myself. Apparently more than you.

Perhaps you didn't give it much thought. See, PG&E provides power which we would need to keep the ice frozen, and it isn't normally below freezing outdoors, but PG&E will tell us we should be saving energy....ah, never mind. Perhaps it wasn't obvious.

You should have a Merry Christmas, too, since I just found out I'm going to be recovering from yet another surgery before Christmas. Lots of time with my feet in the air and a laptop in my lap responding to the RedFlux lovers who think the cameras are for safety while I am one of the victims of the "if it saves just one life a few more accidents are worth it.." mantra.

Happy Thanksgiving, everybody. I'm guessing my surgeon isn't going to let me skate, so enjoy it 4me.