Police: Woman on a rampage in downtown Napa

2011-03-15T15:33:00Z 2011-09-22T10:56:37Z Police: Woman on a rampage in downtown NapaStaff report Napa Valley Register
March 15, 2011 3:33 pm  •

A woman grabbed a shovel Monday from a hardware store on Franklin Street to smash the windshield of a vehicle parked nearby, Napa Police said.

Martina Strycek, 28, a transient from Santa Cruz, is then suspected of creating a disturbance at Town Center before kicking a door at Kohl’s, police said.

According to police, Strycek then allegedly tried to grab a woman’s purse at Kohl’s and threw around items in the store before leaving.

Witnesses stopped her as she allegedly tried to snatch another woman’s purse outside the store, police said.

Police gave her verbal orders but the suspect allegedly refused to obey, police said. Strycek was pepper sprayed and taken into custody, police said.

The suspect was transported to Queen of the Valley Medical Center, medically cleared, then booked into the Napa County Jail on suspicion of attempted robbery, resisting arrest, battery and felony vandalism, authorities said.

1. montana
    montana - March 15, 2011 3:52 pm
    Whew, Close call. I thought that might be my wife.
  2. aaron
    aaron - March 15, 2011 4:31 pm
  3. ozguy
    ozguy - March 15, 2011 4:53 pm
    Montana. No, it was my ex wife.
  4. drew2
    drew2 - March 15, 2011 5:28 pm
    aaron said: "Im getting really tired of the transient population in downtown, they seem to be getting larger and bolder. I walk Fuller Park everyday with my dog and some days I'd be scared to go there if I was parent with a child. Today as i walked by, a transient, obviously intoxicated, proceeded to just whip it out and urinate on a tree right in front of us. Then he sat down to finish his brown bag beverage. Something needs to be done."

5. whatwhy
    whatwhy - March 15, 2011 6:35 pm

Actually there is a very simple solution to the problem
    Instead of giving these people a reason to hang out here, have the county buy the homless a oneway bus ticket of their choice out of town, its gotta be cheaper than keeping the programs going plus it will clean up our City.

I remember Napa when it didnt have a homeless problem or a shelter, with the shelter come all kinda of problems.

I would donate the first Franklin to move them outa here
  6. napa1957
    napa1957 - March 15, 2011 6:51 pm
    drew2 said: "What are you willing to do? More and more people are falling through the cracks. Contact the Food Bank or Homeless shelter or the Churches trying to deal with the homeless problem in Napa. Yes, something needs to be done. Do something! "

Sometimes there is absolutely nothing you can do when folks can't be convinced to seek help. There is help out there, I know from first hand experience, and we have had great success for some, but unfortunately, no one can be forced to be medically and psychologically evaluated, or to take their meds, or to go to AA or NA, or even to go to a shelter or food kitchen for hele. We give to the Food Bank, and donate to the Shelters...but that doesn't accomplish getting the deranged out of our parks and away from our children. What are you doing?
  7. mommaof3
    mommaof3 - March 15, 2011 9:10 pm
    Oh my WHATWHY, that was harsh. We have a homeless man in town that was a sucessful businessman until his severe stroke and a seizure in which he actually severed his tongue. My husband is one of the only people here in town that can understand anything he says and it warms my heart to see him communicate with him and help him where he can. Sending these HUMAN BEINGS out of town where they cannot bother your life is not the solution! There should absolutely be programs to help these people, we should absolutely help when we can because that could be any of us someday. We do not know thier circumstances, what lead them to that life. I do know they did not say "I want to be a transient that is addicted to drugs/alcohol and hopefully I will have a mental illness then overtake towns" on their 2nd grade What I Want To Be When I Grow Up assignment. Some folks hard times end up harder than any of us can comprehend. Compassion is the magic word here.
  8. aaron
    aaron - March 15, 2011 9:45 pm
    drew, I am aware that this is a social problem that involves everyone from the community, but why exactly must i do something? First of all, Fuller Park is alcohol free, and last time i checked, urinating in public is illegal as well. But what are the cops gonna do, arrest him for the day? Nope, too much of a hassle. I am all for doing something, I will contribute money to have them moved out of my city.
  9. Steamer
    Steamer - March 15, 2011 10:00 pm
    The problem is that the Democrat run federal and state governments are cutting services to itinerant people and they have no where to turn but to violence. Democrats want to increase taxes on the poor, the young families the elderly and those on fixed or no income - then they take away the services they pay for.

But, Democrats lavish services and minimize taxes on union members because unions buy Democrats and place them in office.
  10. selim_sivad
    selim_sivad - March 16, 2011 7:44 am
    whatwhy said: "<If Napa County quit giving out handouts. ie: food, medical, shelters, food stamps the problem would go away all by itself without any help from the private sector."

whatwhy, every single soup kitchen and "homeless assistance" service in the downtown area is a private organization, so you're full of it right there. And the population will not just vaporize....it's not like they have a lot of options. And with further cuts to services (and the California electorate unwilling to pay for anything) we can expect to see more mentally ill people on the streets.

Manxkat, I *love* how you can pin anything on the Democrats, when you have to face facts that the first people in line for cutting programs to the homeless and the mentally ill are Republicans each and every time. Period. End of story. You can plug your ears and shout "unions!" and "librulz!" all you want...but you could not be more wrong.
  11. republicrat1
    republicrat1 - March 16, 2011 8:19 am
    The town that I live in (out of state) has a policy of the police to transport to county line. I know it sounds cruel but numbers are going down daily. These are usually transits and not local on hard luck. We have a good local support system for them. Good Luck Napa-you liberals will keep doing this and will live with the consequences.
  12. jeepracer10
    jeepracer10 - March 16, 2011 8:28 am
    That's what happens when you live in the county seat, you deal with all of the trash. Dont give the homeless money or food. Many of them get SSI and free food, shelter, clothes. This is what happens when you vote to the left.
  13. Old Time Napkin
    Old Time Napkin - March 16, 2011 8:36 am
    Selim, as I recall the homeless shelter gets much of it's money from community block grant money which is tax dollars. Food stamps are also tax dollars.
  14. public-citizen
    public-citizen - March 16, 2011 8:38 am
    Transient could mean wine taster. When the first shelter was set up a poll was done about where people were from and they were Napa natives. The article does not say this person was in the shelter. This woman has family in Los Gatos. As a counselor in Napa I listened to many native Napans tell their stories of abuse and homelessness in Napa while picking crops in the Valley. They often lived down by the river usually around Yountville. I also remember when there was more shanty type housing for workers in Napa like the housing that has been removed at Cuttings Wharf recently. Calistoga, St. Helena and Yountville all had cabins for people and others lived in tents by the river. So if you say you were unaware of homeless people years ago you were merely unaware of the circumstances people were living in. You were lucky.
  15. amazed
    amazed - March 16, 2011 9:29 am
    "A transient from Santa Cruz ..."

Can we return her?
  16. Coffebeat
    Coffebeat - March 16, 2011 3:30 pm
    Geez, I guess she was medically cleared but 'normal' people don't usually go on rampages like that. (Normal meaning unaltered by drugs, alcohol or mental illness.)
    I live on Franklin St and can sympathize with the commentors who think something needs to be done about homeless or transient people causing trouble. Fortunately most of the people who constantly loiter around the soup kitchen and church on Franklin keep to themselves for the most part.
    I've had a little trouble with people shouting at me when I try to drive my car and they want to stand in the middle of the street, but I constantly see cops arresting the ones who are drunk in public or selling drugs so it seems to be under control for the most part.
    I am not saying services shouldn't be provided for less fortunate populations and I don't resent people who have hard lives, but I will say I WON'T EVER walk around at night downtown (lesson learned the hard way.)
  17. napa1957
    napa1957 - March 16, 2011 5:35 pm
    amazed said: ""A transient from Santa Cruz ..."Can we return her?"

I actually wondered why in the world someone would come from Santa Cruz to Napa to be homeless. My daughter lives in SC County and every time we visit I think..."this would be a great place to be homeless..." the beach, the ultra-liberal residents, college students, curbside magicians and musicians...one could have a great time there! Napa has got to be pretty boring after SC!
  18. Mobetta
    Mobetta - March 17, 2011 12:08 am
    jeepracer10 said: "That's what happens when you live in the county seat, you deal with all of the trash. Dont give the homeless money or food. Many of them get SSI and free food, shelter, clothes.
    And many of them do not, thats why I give select homeless individuals money,food and bottled water and if they had all that you claim is given to them they wouldn't be homeless!
  19. public-citizen
    public-citizen - March 17, 2011 8:35 am
    Why did the word "transient" generate all this negativity about the shelter? There is nothing that says she was in the shelter. Visiters are transient. Nothing says this person is homeless or doesn't have relatives in Napa. This young woman has an untreated mental problem and needs help and hopefully will not be put back on the streets without it because she is dangerous, homeless, transient or not.
  20. Mobetta
    Mobetta - March 17, 2011 11:36 am
    public-citizen said: "Why did the word "transient" generate all this negativity about the shelter? There is nothing that says she was in the shelter. Visiters are transient. Nothing says this person is homeless or doesn't have relatives in Napa.
    drew2 "I'm getting really tired of this transient problem"

WhatWhy the problem does not fix itsself. Keep your Franklin for transportation use it for food for someone who is hungry.
    Hunger use to be in other countries now its in your community. Get a heart, its free.
  21. Suze
    Suze - March 17, 2011 12:40 pm
    Vagrancy used be a crime. If it was still a crime then those in that situation would have to be dealt with in some way. This would be a good thing because 'the homeless' fall into several catagories needing different help.

It is Nanny State stuff, but sometimes that is exactly what is needed when people just can't take care of themselves or their families and lives.

For those who choose to live outside society so they can do alcohol and substances, then into a re-hab you go. If you will not clean up, then into a jail you go.

If you are off your rocker, then into an institution you go, but no more hanging out on the street abusing others and self medicating.

We need to go back to a no vagrancy law, but we need alternatives in place to re-house, re-train, re-habilitate the unfortunate, and lock up persistant offenders.

Giving the homeless just a little bit of help achieves little, and does nothing but perpetrate and pave the situation for those who simply WILL NOT reform.
  22. long time napan
    long time napan - March 18, 2011 6:54 am
    montana said: "Whew, Close call. I thought that might be my wife. "

ozguy said on: March 15, 2011, 4:53 pm
    Montana. No, it was my ex wife.
    Ha,ha...both you guys are wrong.....it was my ex-husband dressed in women's clothing!