A new survey indicates Lake Berryessa needs to offer a variety of experiences and accommodations to reclaim and surpass its previous status as a major, regional resort destination.
Napa County is considering whether to oversee the redevelopment of five resorts on federal land. It had Ragatz Realty do a survey of what potential visitors want to see.
More than 3,000 people participated in the survey, most living in the Bay Area or Central Valley. More than 83 percent have been to Lake Berryessa.
Here are some survey highlights:
- Asked what potential lake offering they would like, 96 percent chose convenience-grocery stores, 93 percent chose restaurants, 91 percent chose trails, 75 percent chose taverns, 70 percent chose amphitheater with “name” entertainment, 65 percent chose clubhouse with fitness center, 64 percent chose a zip line, 57 percent chose a water park and 52 percent chose a wildlife safari park.
- Boaters gave their priorities. Ninety-percent want a full-service marina, 90 percent want better boat launches, 90 percent want lake patrols to enforce regulations, 81 percent want fishing, 75 percent want rental boats and 68 percent want boat speed and horsepower limits.
- Participants rated the importance of different types of boating. Ninety-one percent want motor boats, 85 percent want houseboats, 83 percent want water skiiing, 80 percent want kayaking, windsurfing, rowing and canoeing, 75 percent want jet boats and 57 percent want sailboats.
- Campers want more than space to pitch a tent. Ninety-eight percent said public restrooms are important, 93 percent said strict rule enforcement, 92 percent said hot showers and 89 percent said fuel, water and electrical hookups.
- Participants want all kinds of accommodations. Eighty-seven percent expressed interest in high-end cabins, 87 percent in houseboats, 84 percent in rustic cabins, 83 percent in glamping or luxury camping, 75 percent in motels and hotels, 72 percent in tent camping, 65 percent in park model RV spaces, 63 percent in mobile homes and 62 percent in smaller RV spaces.
- Previous Berryessa visitors discussed what they found positive about the lake. Among the answers, 90 percent said scenery, 90 percent said water quality, 90 percent said climate, 85 percent said distance from home, 77 percent said family environment, 64 percent said quality of fishing, 60 percent said camping and RV facilities and 50 percent said lodging.