Police wanted to arrest prep school deans in sex abuse case

FILE - This April 11, 2016 photo shows a portion of the prestigious Phillips Exeter Academy campus in Exeter, N.H. Police recommended two deans from the prep school be arrested on misdemeanor charges for failing to properly report allegations that a male student groped a female classmate. A state police report from November 2016, obtained by the Associated Press, showed that arrest warrants had been prepared for Phillips Exeter Academy's Arthur J. Cosgrove and Melissa D. Mischke. (AP Photo/Jim Cole, File)

Jim Cole

EXETER, N.H. (AP) — The Latest on sex abuse case at elite New Hampshire prep school (all times local):

11:30 p.m.

Two deans from an elite New Hampshire prep school are speaking out about a police report that recommended they be arrested for failing to properly report allegations a male student groped a female classmate.

Phillips Exeter Academy's Arthur J. Cosgrove and Melissa D. Mischke said in a statement Tuesday night that based on the information reported to them, they did not believe that a "reportable offence had occurred."

A November 2016 state police report obtained by The Associated Press shows arrest warrants had been prepared.

Cosgrove and Mischke were accused of failing to contact the Department of Health and Human Services after a 17-year-old student told them of being attacked by an 18-year-old from Parkland, Florida.

The deans were never charged. They remain employed at Phillips Exeter Academy.

———

5:50 p.m.

A New Hampshire police report shows officers recommended two deans from an elite prep school be arrested for failing to properly report allegations a male student groped a female classmate.

Get news headlines sent daily to your inbox

A November 2016 state police report obtained Tuesday by The Associated Press shows arrest warrants were prepared for Phillips Exeter Academy's Arthur J. Cosgrove and Melissa D. Mischke. The school has been the focus of sexual-assault allegations.

The deans were accused of failing to contact the Department of Health and Human Services after a 17-year-old student told them of being attacked by an 18-year-old from Parkland, Florida.

The warrants on misdemeanor charges for violating state reporting law were given to the Rockingham County attorney's office. The New York Times first reported the story and says the deans were not charged.

The deans haven't returned emails seeking comment.

———

This story has been corrected to show warrants were given to Rockingham County, not Rocking County.

Copyright 2017 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

0
0
0
0
0

Load comments