Former justice’s Prop. 32 support sways reader

2012-10-15T20:52:00Z 2012-10-15T20:52:55Z Former justice’s Prop. 32 support sways readerDon Holinsworth Napa Valley Register
October 15, 2012 8:52 pm  •

In the official Voter Information Guide that we received in the mail, I read through the quick-reference guide and decided that Proposition 32 sounded like a good thing. Then, the television ads swayed my opinion, and I decided that it wasn’t a good thing.

Finally, I read the more complete arguments for and against the proposition. One of the authors of the rebuttal to the argument against Proposition 32 was retired California Supreme Court Justice John Arguelles.

When I first came to stay in California in 1958, I worked in the American Health Studios in east Los Angeles for a while. There was a gentleman working out there who I learned was an attorney with an office just across the street. I don’t think I even knew his name.

I moved on, and at least eight years later, I was working as a Superior Court clerk in Torrance. I was instructed to take some exhibits to the Municipal Court in Inglewood, which I did. I was sitting in court waiting to return the exhibits.

When the court recessed for a while, the judge remained on the bench. He said, “Don, what are you doing here?” I told him that I had delivered the exhibits and was waiting to take them back. He said, “You don’t remember me, do you?”

I said, “No sir, you look familiar, but I really don’t.” He said that he had worked out in the gym in east Los Angeles.

Years later, I was working as a relief clerk in various courts around the county, and I was assigned to now Superior Court Judge Arguelles’ court. He still remembered me.

It happened to be probation and sentence day in his court. When one of the defendants’ names was called for violation of probation, the defendant stepped forward. The judge called him by name and asked him, “Do you know the man that you walked in here with?”

The defendant said, “Yes, he gave me a ride.”

The judge then told the defendant, “He is also on probation with me. One of the provisions of both your probations is that you not associate with one another.” What a memory.

I did not see the judge after that, but some years later, I read in the paper that California Supreme Court Justice John Arguelles was retiring. Justice Arguelles was one the wisest and most honorable men I have ever known.

If he says that Proposition 32 is a good thing, you can bet that Proposition 32 is a good thing. Join me and vote “yes” on Proposition 32.

Holinsworth lives in Calistoga.

1. Jennifer Waggoner
    Jennifer Waggoner - October 15, 2012 10:53 pm
    Dear Mr. Hollinsworth,

You describe a man you admire, and I don't doubt he has impressed you with his memory, but I have to raise that this measure is not the campaign finance reform measure its proponents say it is. The League of Women Voters of California is know for fair and nonpartisan analysis for the good of all Californians - and we strongly oppose Prop 32.

Proposition 32 promises “political reform” but is really designed by special interests to help themselves and harm their opponents. It looks like a campaign finance reform measure but unfairly targets one set of large campaign donors while giving other donors unlimited power.

If campaign finance reform is to pass, it must be a fair and even-handed effort to close loopholes in the law, rather than a purely partisan effort to eviscerate political opponents. All money in politics must be affected equally. More info: http://ca.lwv.org/recommendation/proposition-32-special-exemptions-act
  2. kevin
    kevin - October 16, 2012 10:15 am
    How could NOT support Prop 32?

The single biggest problem facing California is overpaid public employees and their exhorbitant pensions that are going to cost the taxpayers of California $1.2 TRILLION according to a recent estimate! Public unions have this economy on it's knees because of the power they have over their Members dues money: they can take it and buy elections. Electing Democrat candidates who in turn award them even HIGHER pay and BIGGER pensions in return! (Think Grey Davis).

Prop 32 will stop that!

Unions will still be able to participate in electing candidates, but they will have to get permission from their Members before using their dues money.

The problems facing California today were NOT caused by Corporate donations to candidates. Legally, Prop 32 has to comply with Federal law that allows Corporations and Unions to participate in elections; that is not an "exemption".

Why am I so excited about Prop 32? I am a public employee Member!
  3. kevin
    kevin - October 16, 2012 10:29 am
    "Fair and nonpartisan"???

How many Republicans do you have on the Exec Board?

The history of the League is one of total Liberal/Democrat ideology! They are pro abortion, pro amnesty, against the Second Amendment, anti business, pro Obamacare, pro UN, anti death penalty, oppose a balanced budget amendment, and they support every tax hike I can remember.

"Fair and non-partisan"! By your lame definition, I could make the same claim...
  4. glenroy
    glenroy - October 16, 2012 11:15 am
    If you don’t support Prop 32 then rest assured this state stands no chance of competing with surrounding states when it comes to attracting private sector employers….so folks know we’ve already lost the majority of the largest employers, Bank of American, Well Fargo, IBM, Xerox, Kaiser Aluminum, Brother International just to mention a few…they all left because this state is controlled by incompetent liberals from both parties but primarily Democrat who continuously raise taxes/fees under a false promise of fixing what they caused....they caused it so they can stay in office pandering our tax dollars to their supporters.
    Every new or higher tax, the last couple dozen at the least ended up going to unsustainable wages and benefits…yet we still spend over, as an example, over $17,000.00 per student though a private education can be attained for roughly half that cost…
    Prop 32 will force those who created this mess to spend their money, not ours.
  5. glenroy
    glenroy - October 16, 2012 11:17 am
    Well said Kevin... I know of many who are public employees who support this Prop, it's their last chance to save their retirement.
  6. Tick
    Tick - October 17, 2012 10:26 am
    Let’s talk Chamber of Commerce, their attorneys and members attend every MSHA, OSHA or CAL OSHA hearing I have every attended fighting to stop or repeal health and safety laws that protect workers. Yeah, that’s the folks I want to decide my working conditions and pay. Let’s talk pensions, pensions only amount to 3% of the State of California’s budget, http://www.letstalkpensions.com/myths-and-facts employees pay into this benefit through payroll deductions. Yet you are attacking the 3% and not responded to the 97% elephant in the room.
  7. Tick
    Tick - October 17, 2012 10:27 am
    Well let's see what a yes looks like.. let's go to Utah where there is No collective bargaining for public employees. When you peel back the statistics about Utah’s jobs this past year, the facts show Utah’s wages have fallen the seventh fastest in the nation. In fact, they slid 2.5 percent. This decrease is nearly double the national average. The bottom line is this: In 2011, Utah Workers made $1,047 less than they made in 2010. And Utah wages are already about 10 percent below the national average. Utah workers made about $4,000 less than the average American worker even before wages fell lower last year. Utah’s not just falling behind where they need to be for their future. Utah has falling behind where they were 15 years ago. Simply put, the median household income in Utah right now is $1,151less than what it was in 1997.Utah leaders are selling Utahns – they’re selling them– as cheap labor. In fact, the current administration promotes Utah’s “cheap” workforce as a means of attracting businesses – as if we were a third world country. For decades, Utah has lingered at the bottom of national rankings in per-pupil spending and per-teacher class size. 25 million dollar short fall for education this year alone.
    Utah the most conservative state in the Nation, Right-to-work, repealed prevailing wage in 1993...Maybe it isn't unions...Maybe you've been spoon fed what to believe by the Big Special Interest Media.
  8. Tick
    Tick - October 17, 2012 10:28 am
    This is the one-two-punch; First; If you silence unions, there IS no other organization out there that protects workers. Second; corporate special interests will come after your job; by making or repealing laws like collective bargaining, Davis-Bacon, retirement, apprenticeship and institute right to work for less legislation. You'll see your wages cut in half, benefits and working conditions disappear overnight. And the union wouldn't even be able to inform you that this was happening.

Give me one other organization that fights for worker's rights.

If this was to hurt the big corporate interest why are they the ones putting money into this campaign to pass? The Koch bros., Carl Rove, big oil companies, and insurance companies, wall street bankers and developers. That's because they are all exempt from Prop 32.

Labor rights aren’t etched in stone. They were won through politics and collective bargaining. So if you’re the 99% that have to work for a living say, “good bye” to, vacation leave, health insurance, 8 hour work day, minimum wage, work place health and safety laws, overtime pay, unemployment, child labor laws, meal breaks, nurse patient ratios just to name a few. Screw 32 vote NO
  9. Moravecglobal
    Moravecglobal - October 18, 2012 2:58 pm
    NO! on 32, 38, 30. Keep the California dream alive for the middle class.
  10. kevin
    kevin - October 18, 2012 8:41 pm
    3% of a $100 Billion budget is only $3 Billion dollars. The estimates of the public union pension funding ranges from $500 Billion to $1200 Billion!

Sounds more like a herd of elephants in the room...
  11. kevin
    kevin - October 18, 2012 8:44 pm
    No one is "silencing" unions, after Prop 32 passes, they will still be able to use their members contributions, they will just have to GET PERMISSION FIRST.

I know this is a devastating concept to socialists, Marxists and others, but to most people it's just common sense...

Follow the Napa Valley Register