Last week’s Vacaville-Napa game at Memorial Stadium was one of 72 “must-see match-ups” selected for the U.S. Marine Corps-sponsored 2012 Great American Rivalry Series.
Vacaville, which won 35-14 to improve to 3-0 in the Monticello Empire League, receives the Great American Rivalry Series Champion trophy. In addition, Vacaville’s Curtis Goins, who led all players with 111 yards rushing on 16 carries and two touchdowns, was chosen as the game’s Most Valuable Player. Goins scored on runs of 4 yards and 1 yard, respectively, giving the Bulldogs a 14-0 lead in the first quarter
A simulcast of KVON-1440 AM’s radio broadcast of the game was carried by the Great American Rivalry Series.
Former Napa star John Boyett, who had his No. 12 jersey retired in a pregame ceremony, was also recognized by the Marine Corps. Boyett, a free safety for the University of Oregon who is out for the year with injuries, has nine school records at Napa.
Griffin Abernethy, a Napa High senior who plays safety, was honored on the field with a Great American Rivalry Series student athlete award, which includes a scholarship. The award is in recognition of outstanding academic performance as a football athlete at Napa High.
Abernethy attended St. John’s Lutheran in Napa through the eighth grade before attending Napa High.
• Calistoga’s Keaton Dunsford was 8 of 12 passing for 70 yards as undefeated Cardinal Newman-Santa Rosa (8-0 overall, 5-0 North Bay League) beat Windsor Friday, 20-10.
• KVON-1440 AM will carry Thursday’s Napa-Vintage freshman game at Memorial Stadium starting at 5:30 p.m.
• Friday’s Wood-Vintage Monticello Empire League game will be carried by KVON starting at 7 p.m.
• Michael Ruffino of Napa had three unassisted tackles for the University of San Diego Saturday as the Toreros (4-3 overall, 3-1 Pioneer Football League) beat host Jacksonville University, 24-7.
It was the first road win of the season for the Toreros and snapped Jacksonville’s 16-game home winning streak.
• Charles Boyett of Napa started at safety Saturday for UC Davis and had four assisted stops in the Aggies’ 21-7 Big Sky Conference loss to host Northern Arizona at Walkup Skydome in Flagstaff.
UC Davis dropped to 3-5 overall and 2-3 in the Big Sky.
• Scott Dinov of Napa had two total tackles for Whittier College Saturday in a 41-27 win over Claremont-Mudd-Scripps in Claremont.