Valerie Moberg, co-owner of Vintelligent Marketing, said successful marketing includes more than just writing. It requires storytelling.
As a communicator for the wine industry, her goal is “to paint a picture for people so they can understand why this brand exists and why this person wanted to make wine,” Moberg said.
Vintelligent Marketing, founded in 2006, provides marketing consulting, branding and social media services to wineries.
1. What was your first job?
Sales person at the Sears candy counter.
2. How did you get into the wine industry?
My parents had vineyards when I was growing up and my mom was in wine marketing. The wine industry was the perfect way to put my degree in communication as well as my knowledge and love of wine to good use.
3. What do you like about wine?
Everything. I love tasting wines. I enjoy drinking wines. I love visiting wine regions and learning how regions are different.
4. What is the biggest challenge your business has faced?
Adapting to changes in the wine buying and wine drinking habits of consumers with a product that takes multiple years to produce, and telling their story in an engaging and unique way to set them apart from the other wine brands.
5. Who do you most admire in the business world?
Any successful business person who has dedicated their lives and fortunes to helping others.
6. If you could change one thing about the wine industry, what would it be?
That people wear cologne/perfume when going to wine events and tasting rooms.
7. What’s your advice to someone who wants to get into wine marketing?
Work your contacts. Meet people. Most of our business comes from word of mouth and (recommendations). It’s all about who you know.
8. What is one thing you hope to accomplish in your lifetime that you haven’t yet?
To live somewhere in Europe.
9. What’s on your to-do list?
10. What’s something people might be surprised to know about you?
My husband and I bicycled and camped in France, Italy and England for four months. Most amazing trip ever!