Burt Polson

Burt Polson

Several of the resources real estate brokers use can cost upwards of $1,000 or more per month.

Thankfully, other resources cost less than $100 per month, with many being free.

Here are some you might find helpful:

City and county municipal code

The municipal code is the law for the local jurisdiction and includes how the city personnel and elected officials run the local government. The zoning ordinance and general plan is part of the documents you will find. Commercial brokers use this information extensively.

Each municipality may use a different service.

The two services that include my city and county are qcode.us/codes for the city of Napa and library.municode.com for the county of Napa. You will find many other municipalities included as well.

Geographic information system (GIS)

Many county municipalities and some cities provide a GIS website that gives an aerial view of a property with the parcel outline.

Included are several characteristics of the site including the zoning code (that you need to review the definition in the zoning ordinance), Alquist-Priolo earthquake fault information, watershed area, soil types, registered hazardous material sites and other valuable information about your locale.

The site for the city of Napa is napa.zoomprospector.com, and Napa County is countyofnapa.org/1517.

Remember, searching online for “GIS municipality” replacing municipality with the city or county you are researching will usually bring up the local website.

Cell tower search

You have free articles remaining.

Become a Member

To find locations of existing and future towers and antennas for cellular, radio or microwave that exist, you can search a specific address at antennasearch.com.

The Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)

The ADA law can be complicated, difficult to understand and often misunderstood. Learn about your rights as a person with disabilities as well as the requirements a property owner must follow in providing accommodations by going to adata.org.

Well water statistics for a specific area

The registration of any well construction, alteration or destruction is required by the California Department of Water Resources.

You can search their online database for water well statistics by geographic sections as well as a report filed for a specific well by going to gis.water.ca.gov/app/wcr.

Verify a real estate licensee

Every state has a department, bureau or commission that licenses individuals to represent others in real estate transactions.

We have the California Bureau of Real Estate’s website at dre.ca.gov that allows anyone to look up the details of a licensee, the name of his or her broker, the number of years licensed and if there are any past or present disciplinary actions.

This lists all of my current articles and archive of every article I have written.

There are many more free resources that I use in my daily course of business. Look for future articles about what else is available.

Get News Alerts delivered directly to you.

* I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its user agreement and privacy policy.

Burt M. Polson, CCIM, is an active commercial real estate broker. Reach him at 707-254-8000, or burt@acresinfo.com. Sign up for his email newsletter at BurtPolson.com.