Tillem & McNichol

Len Tillem and Rosie McNichol

Dear Len and Rosie,After my second wife passed away, I put my step-daughter’s name on the title to our house as joint tenants.

I tried to sell the house last year but she would not sign the papers because she said she wanted the whole house.

I went to a lawyer, and he didn’t do anything. I went to another lawyer, and still nothing. I have already spent $7,000 on lawyers and I have made no progress.

All I want to do is sell the house and give her one-half of the money I get, but she won’t listen.

My step-daughter wants to buy the house from me for only $40,000. If she gets it, she’ll sell the house for a lot more money.

I pay all the upkeep on the house, including taxes, insurance, and everything else. She never paid a cent.

I am 77 years old and she is waiting for my death so she can get everything. She never sees me and has never done anything for me since her mother died, even though she lives only three miles away.

She is so mad about me because I have a girlfriend who takes good care of me.

I want to sell the house, but not to her for what little she wants to pay. I worked too hard for that.

Do I have the right to sell the house without her signature?


Dear Domenic,

Every once in a while, someone asks why we tell people to put their homes into a revocable trust to avoid probate instead of just adding their children to the title of the property.

The next time that happens, we will show them your letter. When you gave your step-daughter part of your house, you gave up your exclusive control of it.

She is as much an owner of the house as you are, at least according to its title. Because of this, you cannot sell the home without her agreement.

You can sue your step-daughter and ask the court to revoke the joint tenancy deed and return the property to your name.

You have a case, as long as she did not pay you for her half of the home, and has never contributed to its maintenance, insurance and property taxes.

Your attorney can argue that you added your step-daughter to the title to the home only to avoid probate, and that you didn’t mean for her to own an interest in the property until after your death.

This is not an automatic win, because you have to overcome the legal presumption that the title to the home is correct. This may be what your attorneys have tried to do for you.

Unfortunately, it’s not cheap. This may easily cost you more than $7,000 to see it through.

If you’re willing to settle for half and you want to sell the property now, you can sue your step-daughter in an action for partition.

The court will order a neutral party to sell the property and divide the proceeds of the sale between the two of you.

If you do not want to sell the property, you can sign a deed that will sever the joint tenancy and change the title of the property to a tenancy in common.

Your step-daughter will still own half, but she won’t get your half when you die. Then, you can leave your half of the home to someone else in a will or revocable trust.

The lesson learned here is this:

Don’t add a child or step-child to the deed to your home without the full understanding that you can’t just take it back whenever you want.

Len and Rosie

Get News Alerts delivered directly to you.

* I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its user agreement and privacy policy.

Len Tillem and Rosie McNichol are elder law attorneys. Contact them at 846 Broadway, Sonoma, CA 95476, by phone at 707-996-4505.