Napa Valley cheese authority Janet Fletcher, author of “Cheese & Wine,” “Cheese & Beer” and the Planet Cheese blog, will offer six classes surveying the world of fine cheese at Trefethen Family Vineyards in Napa once a month from April through September.
Classes take place on Thursday evenings, 5:30-7:30 p.m., in Trefethen’s restored wooden winery. They begin with a half-hour reception, followed by a sit-down cheese tasting. Each class features a unique theme and Trefethen wines. The cost is $70 per class or $375 for the Grand Tour (all six classes).
This year’s new themes include an evening devoted to mixed-milk cheeses and another evening devoted to pairing cheese with young and mature Chardonnays.
The schedule for Janet Fletcher’s World Cheese Tour at Trefethen Family Vineyards is:
April 19 Best Newcomers —
- Meet some impressive American cheeses that didn’t exist five years ago — all of them destined for glory.
May 17 Cheese Meets Chardonnay —
- White wine with cheese? Absolutely! Discover cheeses that complement the acclaimed Trefethen Chardonnays, including some prized older vintages.
June 21 Italianissimo! —
- From the Italian Alps to Sicily’s sheep farms, Italy is artisan cheese country. Taste new small-production cheeses and superior versions of some classics.
July 19 Taste the Nation —
- A seven-state tour of artisan American cheeses from Georgia, Indiana, Vermont, Oregon and more.
Aug. 16 Blended Beauties: Cow, Goat, Sheep —
- Blending cow, goat and sheep’s milk is one way to add complexity. Taste stellar two- and three-milk cheeses from the U.S. and beyond.
— Sept 20 American Cheese Society Blue-Ribbon Winners — An opportunity to taste what the experts consider the epitome of American cheesemaking.
Seating is limited; reservations are required at www.janetfletcher.com/cheeseclasses/ or call 707-265-0404
Trefethen Family Vineyards is at 1160 Oak Knoll Ave., Napa.