A 17-year-old Napa youth was shot Sunday night in the vicinity of First Street/Freeway Drive by an unknown assailant who got away, Napa Police reported.
Police said they got a call at 10:12 p.m. from a passerby who had been flagged down by the teenager who said he'd just been shot, police said.
The victim had a non-life-threatening wound, police said. He was taken to Queen of the Valley Medical Center for treatment, then released.
The victim was shot in the vicinity of the softball fields on Freeway Drive. Whether the shooter was on foot or in a vehicle isn't known, police said.
Because the juvenile had an outstanding no bail warrant, he was booked into the Napa County Juvenile Hall after receiving medical treatment, police said.
The motive for the shooting and identity of the suspect are not known at this point in the investigation, police said.
Detectives with the department's Special Enforcement Unit are looking into whether the incident was gang related, police said.
Anyone with any information related to this case should contact Detective Curtis Madrigal at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone 707-257-9592.
Anonymous tips may be texted to the Napa Police Department by texting the word 707NPD and the tip information to 847411 (tip411).
This is the second nighttime shooting within the past month. On Aug. 18, a 21-year-old male was shot by a passerby while standing outside Rexford Mobile Estates on Pueblo Avenue.
The following week, police arrested a 20-year-old suspect on suspicion of attempted murder. The suspect, Marcos Rios Leon, was a documented Norteño gang member who had been released from prison within the last year for a gang-related commitment, police said.
Get local news delivered to your inbox!
Subscribe to our Daily Headlines newsletter.