You are the owner of this article.
You have permission to edit this article.
Edit
Napa to again shut down dine-in restaurants, bars, indoor tasting rooms starting Thursday as coronavirus cases rise
Public Health

Napa to again shut down dine-in restaurants, bars, indoor tasting rooms starting Thursday as coronavirus cases rise

COVID-19

Starting Thursday, Napa County is on track to again shut down dine-in restaurants, bars, indoor wine tasting rooms and other businesses amid a sharp increase in coronavirus cases.

In a statement shortly before 5 p.m. Monday, the county announced the impending return of restrictions, which would take effect at 12:01 a.m. Thursday. Dine-in eateries,  indoor tasting rooms, movie theaters, museums, card rooms and indoor entertainment venues would have to remain closed at least through July 30.

Also required to close would be brewpubs, breweries, pubs and bars, for both indoor and outdoor service. Restaurants and other businesses would be allowed to maintain outdoor operations.

The announcement came hours after Napa County reported 60 new coronavirus infections over the Fourth of July weekend – its largest single increase – bringing the local total to 436. The largest previous tally of new COVID-19 cases was 40 on June 29.

On July 4, the county’s reported case rate over the previous two weeks reached 137.9 cases per 100,000 residents, according to the statement. That figure places Napa on California’s monitoring list, which includes counties with more than 100 positive COVID-19 tests per 100,000 people. A county that exceeds that level for three consecutive days must impose a shutdown.

A July 1 order by Gov. Gavin Newsom requires counties remaining on the monitoring list for three consecutive days to close various indoor business activities for a minimum of three weeks, and California may extend the restrictions based on monitoring of new cases.

“The County must comply with State-required metrics and failure to meet these metrics will result in actions by the State of California to restrict activities in Napa County,” county Supervisor Diane Dillon said in the statement. “It is critical that the community continue to follow best practices including wearing a face covering, staying within your household bubble, maintaining a physical distance of at least six feet from those not in your household, and avoiding parties and gatherings. If Napa County cannot improve its metrics, we will likely be subject to an extended closure and additional measures.”

“Economic closures can also have a negative impact on the community’s health and well-being, particularly when the community is stressed and families need to make decisions about how to meet basic family needs,” said Dr. Karen Relucio, county public health officer. “I encourage all residents to take COVID-19 seriously and help prevent the spread of illness in our community.”

Editor’s Note: Because of the health implications of the COVID-19 virus, this article is being made available free to subscribers and non-subscribers alike. If you’d like to join us in supporting the mission of local journalism, please visit napavalleyregister.com/members/join/

You can reach Howard Yune at 707-256-2214 or hyune@napanews.com

Concerned about COVID-19?

* I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its user agreement and privacy policy.

Public Safety Reporter

Howard Yune covers public safety for the Napa Valley Register. He has been a reporter and photographer for the Register since 2011, and previously wrote for the Marysville Appeal-Democrat, Anaheim Bulletin and Coos Bay (Oregon) World.

Related to this story

Get up-to-the-minute news sent straight to your device.

Topics

News Alerts

Breaking News