Today is Tuesday, June 30, 2020. Let's get caught up.
These non-virus headlines are in the news this morning: Top White House officials knew in 2019 that Russia was offering bounties for the killing of US troops, according to AP sources; the man known as the Golden State Killer pleaded guilty to 13 murders and dozens of rapes and was sentenced to life in prison; and more top stories.
Read on for these stories, other top headlines, celebrity birthdays and more.
AP sources: White House aware of Russian bounties in 2019
Top officials in the White House were aware in early 2019 of classified intelligence indicating Russia was secretly offering bounties to the Taliban for the deaths of Americans, a full year earlier than has been previously reported, according to U.S. officials with direct knowledge of the intelligence.
The assessment was included in at least one of President Donald Trump’s written daily intelligence briefings at the time, according to the officials. Then-national security adviser John Bolton also told colleagues he briefed Trump on the intelligence assessment in March 2019. Read the full story here:
Golden State Killer admits murders, rapes for life in prison
Gay Hardwick stood arm-in-arm with her husband to face a criminal dubbed the Golden State Killer and couldn't recognize the elderly man hunched in a wheelchair as the sadistic rapist who had terrorized them 42 years earlier.
In a hushed and raspy voice, Joseph James DeAngelo Jr. — a serial rapist before he became a serial killer — acknowledged in two words, “I admit,” that he had attacked the couple in 1978 as he pleaded guilty Monday to 13 murders, and admitted dozens of rapes and crimes too old to be prosecuted as part of a deal to avoid the death penalty. Read the full story here:
In other news today ...
- Democrats pushed a package expanding “Obamacare” coverage through the House on Monday, a measure that's doomed to advance no further but spotlights how the coronavirus pandemic and President Donald Trump's efforts to obliterate that law have fortified health care's potency as a 2020 campaign issue.
- Supporters of abortion rights are elated, foes of abortion dismayed and angry, but they agree on one consequence of the Supreme Court’s first major abortion ruling since President Donald Trump took office: The upcoming election is crucial to their cause.
- China approved a contentious national security law that will allow authorities to crack down on subversive and secessionist activity in Hong Kong, a move many see as Beijing's boldest yet to erase the legal firewall between the semi-autonomous territory and mainland China’s authoritarian Communist Party system.
- After a weeklong wait, Kentucky Democrats prepared to find out Tuesday whether Charles Booker or Amy McGrath will get the party's nomination to challenge Republican Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell in the fall.
- U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo and Iran’s Foreign Minister Mohammed Javad Zarif are scheduled to address a U.N. Security Council meeting Tuesday on the implementation of the 2015 Iran nuclear deal — the accord that the Trump administration pulled out of more than two years ago.
- A Minnesota judge on Monday warned that he's likely to move the trials of four former police officers charged in George Floyd's death out of Minneapolis if public officials, attorneys and family members don't stop speaking out about the case.
- A 70-year-old man died Monday after his minivan went off the road and became submerged in a ditch as a western Wisconsin village grappled with hours of torrential rain that resulted in home evacuations and heavy floodwaters.
- A wind-driven wildfire destroyed homes and forced evacuations as it tore through a rural Southern California desert town near the Salton Sea, authorities said Monday.
- The commander of the International Space Station said Monday that losing a mirror during last week’s otherwise successful spacewalk was “a real bummer.”
- Nicole Young, Dr. Dre's wife of 24 years, has filed for divorce.
Click on the links below for full versions of these stories and scroll further for trending stories, a look at today in history and celebrity birthdays.
Today's national forecast
Portions of southeast Iowa towards the Tri-Cities of Tennessee have already had their fair share of rainfall, and more is on the way. CNN meteorologist Pedram Javaheri explains why and how much more to expect. Watch here:
Image of the day
On this date
President Donald Trump and North Korea’s Kim Jong Un met at the Demilitarized Zone between North and South Korea, and more events that happene…
Here's a look back at sports happenings on this date in history, June 30:
Happy birthday to ...
Be the first to know
Get local news delivered to your inbox!