SACRAMENTO, Calif. (AP) — A Northern California man may have been motivated by a conspiracy theory related to the 9/11 attacks when he stabbed and wounded three people with a machete earlier this week at San Francisco International Airport, prosecutors said.
The 33-year-old Yuba City resident, who claimed that Greeks and Indians were responsible for the terrorist attacks, is being charged with three counts of felony assault with a deadly weapon in San Mateo County, The Sacramento Bee reported Thursday. He will be arraigned Friday.
The man appeared to be in mental health distress and was initially taken to a psychiatric care facility before being transferred to jail, where he is being held without bail, said San Mateo County District Attorney Stephen Wagstaffe.
Prosecutors said the man on Monday slashed two victims with a 2-foot (0.6-meter) machete in the airport's international terminal before dropping a stack of papers with his writings. He then stabbed a third victim.
People are also reading…
All three victims are expected to recover.
Copyright 2022 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed without permission.