Also in the news this Monday: A royal rift between Harry and William, Texas tornado and administration wants asylum-seekers' DNA.
Trump supporter accused of using bear repellant spray on protesters
A small crowd protesting the president in southern California got sprayed with bear repellant, police said, by a man wearing a "Make America Great Again" hat.
Santa Monica police said the pro- and anti-Trump demonstrators were shouting at each other Saturday when a scuffle bork eout.
A video posted online shows a man wearing a "Make America Great Again" hat circling the crowd and then unleashing a torrent of spray from a canister. Officials say nobody was seriously hurt by the repellent, which is similar to pepper sprays used by police.
The Los Angeles Times reports authorities arrested a man who could face charges including violating the terms of his parole from a previous weapons violation. His name was not released.
US plans to collect DNA from asylum-seekers, other migrants
The Trump administration is planning to collect DNA samples from asylum-seekers and other migrants detained by immigration officials and will add the information to a massive FBI database used by law enforcement hunting for criminals, a Justice Department official said.
The Justice Department will publish an amended regulation Monday that would mandate DNA collection for almost all migrants who cross between official entry points and are held even temporarily, according to the official. The official spoke to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity because the regulation had not yet been published.
The rule does not apply to legal permanent residents, or anyone entering the U.S. legally. Children under 14 are exempt. It's not clear yet whether asylum-seekers who come through official crossings will be exempt.
Homeland Security officials gave a broad outline of the plan to expand DNA collection at the border two weeks ago, but it was not clear then whether asylum-seekers would be included, or when it would begin.
The new policy would allow the government to amass a trove of biometric data on hundreds of thousands of migrants, raising major privacy concerns and questions about whether such data should be compelled even when a person is not suspected of a crime other than crossing the border illegally. Civil rights groups already have expressed concerns that data could be misused, and the new policy is likely to lead to legal action.
Justice officials hope to have a pilot program in place shortly after the 20-day comment period ends and expand from there, the official said. The new regulations are effective Monday, after the regulation is published.
Trump administration officials say they hope to solve more crimes committed by immigrants through the increased collection of DNA from a group that can often slip through the cracks. The Justice official also said it would be a deterrent — the latest step aimed at discouraging migrants from trying to enter the United States between official crossings by adding hurdles to the immigration process.
Currently, officials collect DNA on a much more limited basis — when a migrant is prosecuted in federal court for a criminal offense. That includes illegal crossing, a charge that has affected mostly single adults. Those accompanied by children generally aren't prosecuted because children can't be detained.
President Donald Trump and others in his administration often single out crimes committed by immigrants as a reason for stricter border control. But multiple studies have found that people here illegally are less likely to commit crime than U.S. citizens, and legal immigrants are even less likely to do so.
For example, a study last year in the journal Criminology found that from 1990 through 2014, states with bigger shares of migrants have lower crime rates.
Immigrant rights advocates were immediately critical following initial disclosure of the DNA collection plans two weeks ago.
"That could really change the purpose of DNA collection from one of criminal investigation to population surveillance," American Civil Liberties Union attorney Vera Eidleman said then.
Curbing immigration is Trump's signature issue, but his administration has struggled in dealing with the surge of people trying to enter the United States, mostly Central American families fleeing poverty and violence.
Burger King cashes in on Halloween with the 'Ghost Whopper'
If Halloween fans aren't satisfied with the costumes, the decorations and the never-ending candy, how about a burger?
At 10 Burger Kings only in the Untied States, Burger King will unleash a "Ghost Whopper" starting Thursday. The difference between it and a regular Whopper? A special white cheddar-cheese flavored (and colored) sesame seed bun.
Burger King hired Riz Mirza, a psychic medium, to produce a "spirit taste test" advertisement. The company (jokingly?) claims that the spirits Mirza attracted offered reviews of the Ghost Whopper.
"'It's beyond belief to experience this taste,' said one of the spirits," Burger King said in a press release.
Halloween is a popular holiday for Burger King. In 2018, it sold a Nightmare King, a spooky spin on a chicken sandwich on a green sesame seed bun. Before that, it has sold variations of the Whopper with Halloween themes, including in 2015 when it sold an A.1. Halloween Whopper with a black bun.
Burger King frequently uses its most recognizable burger in splashy promotions.
Earlier this year, it rolled out an "Upside-Down Whopper" sandwich, which is just a regular Whopper served with the bottom of the bun on the top of the burger and the top of the bun on the bottom. The burger was marketing promotion for the Netflix series "Stranger Things."
Prior to that, it also rolled out a new Whopper meal box, called "Real Meals," labeled with different moods and colors. The packaging came in five moods: "pissed" in red, "blue" for sad, "salty" in teal, "YAAAS" in purple and "DGAF" (that's "don't give a f---" in internet speak) in black.
One Whopper that has found permanent success is the Impossible Whopper. Burger King rolled out the meatless version nationwide this summer to great success. The company said it's attracting new customers to its restaurants.
Tornado roars through Dallas area, leaving thousands in the dark
Crews searched Monday through the rubble of buildings torn apart by a tornado that ripped through the Dallas area the night before, causing damage to homes and businesses and knocking out electricity to tens of thousands of people.
Radar confirmed the tornado hit the ground near Love Field Airport and moved northeast through the city around 9 p.m. Sunday, said National Weather Service meteorologist Jason Godwin. There were no reports of fatalities or serious injuries early Monday, according to a release from the city of Dallas, but Fire-Rescue spokesman Jason Evans says three people were hospitalized for evaluation of non-life-threatening injuries.
The storms also caused damage in Arkansas and Oklahoma as the system moved to the northeast early Monday. Power was out at the Northwest Arkansas Regional Airport in Highfill, about 155 miles (250 kilometers) northwest of Little Rock. The airport says flights were still departing, though security screenings were being done manually.
Tornado warnings were in effect Monday morning in far eastern Arkansas near the Mississippi River as the storm system moved to the east. The Storm Prediction Center in Norman, Oklahoma, says areas of Alabama, Louisiana, Mississippi and Tennessee could see severe thunderstorms later Monday.
In Texas, heavy damage was reported in northwest Dallas and Richardson. Nearly 140,000 electric customers were without power as of 4 a.m. Monday, according to Oncor's online outage map. The electric utility said storms across East Texas had caused significant damage to power lines.
Around 65,000 of the affected electric customers were within Dallas, according to the city, which said it would open a shelter.
Crews searched through homes and businesses that were accessible for about six hours overnight, but were hampered by "limited access and lack of proper lighting," Evans said. A second set of teams were to resume search efforts in daylight.
Seven people escaped a structure that collapsed in northwest Dallas, but Dallas Fire-Rescue were searching to see if anyone was left inside, Evans said. WFAA-TV reported that a convenience store collapsed in the storm, but the clerk told the station that everyone who was inside made it out safely.
Evans said the department had also received multiple calls from people injured in their homes by broken glass.
On Twitter, Dallas Fire-Rescue said one of its own stations sustained significant damage during the storms overnight, and included photos that appeared to show a collapsed roof and debris. Evans said none of the firefighters at Station 41 were hurt, but said the roof was torn off by the high winds.
School apologizes for making students wear boxes on their heads
A school in India has apologized after photos emergedof students wearing cardboard boxes on their headsduring an exam to discourage cheating.
The Bhagat Pre-University College in Haveri, in India's southwestern Karnataka state, implemented a trial run of the new measure last Wednesday, according to school management head M.B. Sateesh.
A staff member photographed the students sitting in neat rows, their heads obscured by cardboard boxes.
The front of the boxes had been cut out, allowing students to see their desks and exam sheets but restricting their vision, similar to blinders used on a horse.
The photos were posted on Facebook by a staff member and promptly went viral, according to CNN affiliate CNN-News18.
Before long, the school was facing widespread criticism on social media. Even government officials weighed in -- S. Suresh Kumar, the state education minister, said in a tweet that the school's practice was "unacceptable."
"Nobody has any right to treat anybody more so students like animals," Kumar wrote.
The school has provided authorities with a written explanation of the trial and an apology, Sateesh said.
Sateesh emphasized that the trial was optional, the school had notified parents in advance -- and only students with parental approval had been involved. Of the 72 students taking midterm exams that day, only 56 took part in the box experiment, he said.
"They said they were comfortable with the trial," Sateesh said. "The college did not harass any student, it was optional and some (students) experimented, some did not."
The students had brought their own boxes to school, and many took them off after 15 to 30 minutes, Sateesh said. The school asked all students to take off the boxes within an hour of the exam.
Brotherly love? Prince Harry acknowledges tensions with William
Britain's Prince Harry has acknowledged tensions with his older brother Prince William for the first time, saying they are on "different paths."
Harry made the remarks in an interview with ITV's Tom Bradby, recorded during the Duke and Duchess of Sussex's recent trip to Africa. The interview was part of an hour-long ITV documentary that aired Sunday.
Bradby asked, "There's been a lot of news in the press about rifts with your brother. How much of that is true?"
Harry answered, "Part of this role, part of this job, this family, being under the pressure which it's under, inevitably stuff happens. But we are brothers. We will always be brothers.
"We are certainly on different paths at the moment, but I will always be there for him, and as I know he will always be there for me. We don't see each other as much as we used to as we are so busy. But I love him dearly and you know the majority of the stuff is probably — well, the majority of the stuff is created out of nothing. But as brothers, you have good days and you have bad days."
There have been tabloid rumors of a rift between the brothers, but more often those rumors concern the brothers' wives, Meghan, Duchess of Sussex, and Kate, Duchess of Cambridge.
At a royal foundation event in February 2018, Harry and William suggested that if there were any disagreements, they were between the brothers and not the wives.
The ITV documentary included an interview with Meghan in which she gave a rare glimpse into her personal life, admitting she has struggled to deal with being a new mother in the spotlight.
"Any woman, especially when they're pregnant, you're really vulnerable, and so that was made really challenging," Meghan said in the video. "And then when you have a newborn, you know. And especially as a woman, it's a lot. So, you add this on top of just trying to be a new mom or trying to be a newlywed."
Meghan became emotional when Bradby asked her about the impact it has had on her mental and physical health.
"Thank you for asking. Not many people have asked if I'm OK, but it's a very real thing to be going through behind the scenes," she said.