Subscribe for 33¢ / day

One day recently, riding my mobility scooter to a dental appointment, I discovered my battery was not up to its usual place on my trip back towards home.

I had already ridden 3.9 miles and still had another 1.3 miles to go to reach home. The weather was cloudy with rain forecast at 2 p.m.

I decided to stop at Starbucks by Lucky and have a drink, a quick chicken wrap, and they allowed me to hook my scooter up to add a charge to it. It was almost an hour later as I unplugged the scooter moved it outside to start my last leg of the ride, when it started to rain lightly.

Antonio, who works at Starbucks, told me to wait a moment, and he ran to his truck and brought me back a very expensive "Bears" sports warm, water-resistant jacket and helped me put it on over my fleece-lined jacket, and I was on my way. I made it home by 10 minutes before the rain really came down, but what a hero he was for me.

I apparently have battery problems, and I am having scooter checked now. But a few days later I rode into Orchard Supply for bird feed and on to Starbucks to return Antonio's jacket and thank him and all the employees in there for their kindness.

Then I rode down to a care center past Villa Verde Lane on Trancas Street for a short visit and headed home. My battery indicator began to waver toward low power while I was coming up Sierra Avenue and I was unable to cross Trower Avenue to Solomon in front of Vintage High just before school let out.

Two men from separate vehicles got out and pushed me across the street and up on to the sidewalk. At the exact time my yard man, Jose, came by with his pick-up and trailer. They put as much of their equipment in the back of the pick-up as possible but could not get my big four wheel scooter in the trailer. I had them push it back up on the sidewalk and I sat there for 15 minutes or so and got as far as about 65 feet from El Centro Avenue where I live.

I waited there until most of the school traffic had reached the stop sign and turned down El Centro before I started to go again. But the incline, while not steep, the scooter once again died on the incline due to lack of power.

Two teens from the Vintage High School got out of the car their mother was driving and came over and pushed me up the incline and around the corner. They wanted to push me home, but on the flat surface was again able to go and reach my driveway two houses down.

I thank all of you, those I know the names of, and those I don't. You are the best of the best.

Abbey Silva