Betty Rhodes writes about senior living in Napa Valley. "I enjoy being a senior, and I appreciate being able to continue championing the causes of seniors. It’s all good. We live in a very ‘senior friendly’ valley, with much for seniors to do in order to remain healthy in mind, spirit and body."
I’d like to thank one of our readers, Karen Wyard, B.S. and M.A., for sending a very informative email regarding Mental Health, reminding us that May is designated as Mental Health Awareness Month.
Welcome back. We recently talked about temporarily jumping off our “track” and taking a good, hard look, before deciding whether or not we wanted to make some serious changes to our track before climbing back on.
There’s a new member of the family. My daughter Judy and I spent a long afternoon recently picking out a sweet four-legged new member of the Rhodes’ family. Her name is Lizzy. She looks like a tiny version of a Doberman pinscher, and when she walks, she prances … too cute.
I met the most extraordinary gentleman recently through an email, which began: “Hi, My name is Donald Bowling and I am 86 and have Alzheimer’s. I live at Aegis of Napa and have been doing research on Alzheimer’s. I think I would be a good guest on your TV program, ‘Senior’s Rule!’”
Hi, friends. Let’s enjoy our cup of coffee this morning, and discuss what I believe is pretty wonderful about our generation, and that is our trust in people. We grew up in a time when all that was needed was a man’s word and a handshake to complete a business transaction.
Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker recently proposed a budget calling for $300 million cuts in state aid across the University of Wisconsin system. Louisiana Gov. Bobbie Jindal also proposed to meet his state’s budget shortfall by cutting the same $300 million in state support for higher education.
- FIRST THURSDAY: St. Helena Chamber talks Christmas in July
- First Thursday: Chamber’s Summer Concert Series begins
- First Thursday: Social media workshops, Spring Sidewalk Sale
- Guest commentary: Nation’s veterans welcome at Napa Valley College
- Commentary: He used to take NRA money. Now, he leads efforts to pass gun control measures
- Rianda House: Techno Tuesdays help older adults get connected
- Simple & Sassy: Swatting at cold bugs
- Guest commentary: The ghost in you
- UpValley Family Centers: The compassionate support of our community
- Guest commentary: A perfect storm of misery